Find your ‘wheel’ power at BEYOND Studios

Taylor Henry/The Daily Campus
BEYOND pedaling, located in Snider plaza, is just one way SMU students can get out and enjoy cycling in Dallas.

BEYOND pedaling, located in Snider plaza, is just one way SMU students can get out and enjoy cycling in Dallas. (Taylor Henry/The Daily Campus)

Cycling, both indoors and outdoors, is a great way to get an effective aerobic workout.

Compared to running, it is a much lower impact form of cardio.

Regular cycling will increase muscle tone gradually with a smaller risk of putting strain on your muscles or over working anything.

If you run most days of the week, it is a good idea to switch out one day and incorporate cycling into your workout routine. Give your joints a break from pounding the pavement. 

General manager of Bicycles Plus Inc. Craig Petersen said there are many “cardiovascular benefits” to cycling.

“One of the biggest misconceptions about cycling is that it isn’t a full body workout,” said Brandi Marino, owner of BEYOND Studios Dallas. “When done properly, the upper body is completely engaged.”

According to Marino, while your legs, glutes, hamstrings and calves are working like crazy, your arms and back are activated during cycling even though they do not have tension.

Additionally, the core is much more engaged than one may realize. Marino founded the BEYOND Studios in Dallas which used to only include BEYOND pilates. 

However, she realized that people who were doing pilates four to five days a week were not reaching their weight loss goals as fast as they had hoped.

Why?

They were missing the cardio component of their workout routine. Whether you are trying to lose or maintain your weight, cycling is a popular form of cardio. 

Just like any other physical activity, the amount of calories burned or difficulty of the workout depends on how far you go and the intensity at which you pedal.

“The average person burns anywhere from 500 to 800 calories during a cycling class,” Marino said.

One of the best parts about cycling is that you can take it indoors or outdoors. If it is cold and rainy, go to an indoor cycling class. But, what could be better than going for a bike ride on a beautiful day to get fresh air and sunshine. 

Exercise should not be a chore, so either way you prefer, you will still achieve an awesome workout and release plenty of endorphins. However, Petersen said that it is important to note that if you are specifically training for a race to make sure you get outdoors to prepare properly. 

“The elements have a significant impact on what you will be able to accomplish,” he said.

If you are in an upbeat spin class or riding while chatting with a friend, the time will fly by and you will be done before you know it.

Other benefits of cycling include improved heart health, coordination, stress relief and it is an environmentally friendly activity.

What is the greatest benefit?

For Peterson it is all mental.

“It is the physical release I get from riding my bike,” he said. “It is not just the physical aspects, it helps me to deal with things we all have to deal with mentally.”

Bikes Plus has four locations in Park Cities, Coppell, Allen and Flower Mound.

Each store has its own special niche.

Customers from basic riding to intense training can come in and will find exactly what they need.

At the newly opened indoor cycling studio, BEYOND pedaling, there is a special SMU student discount for $15 per class with no obligations or commitments. It is not offered on the web so be sure to ask about it at the studio. 

Tip: If you are new at cycling, make sure you start out easy and build up.

Do not overdo it, listen to your body. As with any exercise, make sure you fuel properly before and after your work out. Both locations are in Snider Plaza, so walk across the street from SMU and begin your cycling journey.