Volleyball struggles at Radisson Invitational

Ole Miss Lauren Moffett (No. 20) spikes the ball past SMUs Caitlin Rainbird (No. 8) and Kathryn Wilkerson (No. 15) during Friday nights game at Moody.
Stuart Palley
Ole Miss’ Lauren Moffett (No. 20) spikes the ball past SMU’s Caitlin Rainbird (No. 8) and Kathryn Wilkerson (No. 15) during Friday night’s game at Moody.

Ole Miss’ Lauren Moffett (No. 20) spikes the ball past SMU’s Caitlin Rainbird (No. 8) and Kathryn Wilkerson (No. 15) during Friday night’s game at Moody. (Stuart Palley)

The SMU volleyball team returned home to a tough SMU Radisson Invitational after suffering its first loss last week. The tournament schedule included undefeated Ole Miss and Big XII’s Baylor.

The Mustangs opened with a loss to the Rebels, but SMU did put up a fight. The Mustangs lost in three close sets; they just couldn’t close the gap.

SMU received solid performances from Rachel Giubilato, Kathryn Wilkerson and Stefanie Kons. Giubilato and Wilkerson notched double doubles and Kons missed one by a dig. But the Mustangs still fell, 30-26, 30-22 and 30-25.

SMU fared better in its second match of the tournament. The Mustangs handled Prairie View A&M in three sets.

The Lady Panthers were never allowed to get into a rhythm. The Mustangs got on top early and stayed on top. Prairie View was only able to score a total of 47 points total in the three games.

Giubilato tallied her second double double of the tournament, and setter Madison Hill had 37 assists. That led to the final match against Baylor.

The Mustangs put up a fight, but were unable to outmatch the Bears. The Mustangs managed to win one game, but couldn’t stop Baylor from taking the third game and the match.

SMU won’t have much time to think about the tournament as it turns around and has another match tonight after two days off.

The Mustangs will host Texas-San Antonio at 7 p.m. tonight at Moody Coliseum.