Wire service CEO shares insights

Students filled room 283 in Umphrey Lee on Wednesday to hear thepresident and CEO of the world’s largest and oldest newsorganization speak about his experiences and knowledge ofjournalism.

Tom Curley from the Associated Press in New York spoke to morethan 100 students about four main topics and opened the floor forquestions as part of a Society of Professional Journalist’sfirst meeting.

Curley said he was pleased to be there as a part of the initialmeeting because the society had been responsible for paying $2,000of his $3,000 first-year college tuition.

Students jotted down notes as he spoke about how to get a job,how to do well in your job, different types of journalism and jobopportunities available in this era.

Curley encouraged students, specifically ones pursuingjournalism, to have a sense of commitment for their work.

He said they should also believe in their work — believethat what they are doing is great.

“We want people to do great things in the name ofjournalism,” Curley said.

He said journalism is about taking risks, being able to tell astory, communicate and relate it to people, for the good of thepeople. He added that great journalists ask the questions thatnobody is asking.

“[Journalism] is a process to bring the truth tolight,” Curley said.

He believes the biggest media problem is “theherd.”

Curley used the example that one moment, polls are up forPresident Bush, economy is great and everything is rosy, butreality catches up and the herd runs the other way, spreading glumnews.

“Go with the herd or commit to the truth,” Curleysaid.

Curley urged students to make their stories stand out, but stillreport with only the facts.

He added that being able to express yourself in your work is themost powerful thing on earth.

Although every news organization wants to be the first andfastest to have the news, he said that journalists must be sureabout everything before pressing the “send” button. Atthe AP, there is an intense review before anything gets put on thewire because within seconds, it can be seen all over the world.

He said that there is a need for journalists who specialize inbusiness sports or finance, encouraging journalism students toconsider double majoring.

Belo Chairman Tony Pederson was pleased by the presentation andhow attentive the students were during the lecture.

He said it’s beneficial for students to hear Curley speakabout the AP’s mission and his analysis of this era.

AP is a news wire service that provides state, national andinternational news, photos, graphics, broadcast and online servicesfor more than 15,000 news organizations around the world.

“President Curley provided some genuine insight into whatjournalism is all about,” first-year business major EllenVuong said.

Chelsea Messer contributed to this report.