Is 2007 the year of the sequel?

Although 2006 brought us Ricky Bobby, some Dreamgirls, more Jack Sparrow than girls could handle, and more computer animation than anyone could stomach, 2007 is already shaping up to be a stand-out year for movies.

2006 was a fine year for films, fiscally speaking.

From January to December, this past year saw a total box office take topping $9.2 billion dollars. It surpassed 2005’s $8.83 billion, but did not match the record breaking year of 2004, which finished with $9.4 billion.

The bulk of 2006’s box office take can be attributed to fun summer popcorn flicks such as “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest” (which took in $423,315,812), “Cars” (which took in $244,082,982), and “Superman Returns” (which took in $200,081,192), among others.

So what blockbusters can we already count on for 2007?

For one thing, there’s the Trifecta: “Spider-Man 3” (May 4), “Shrek the Third” (May 18), and “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End” (May 25). Hard as it might to be to believe that so many highly anticipated “3” movies could be released in the same month, it’s actually happening. What will be really interesting to watch is seeing whether the success of one doesn’t cancel out the box office take of the others. That considered, “Spider-Man 3” probably has the best release date of the three.

With such a strong spring, you’d think Hollywood would have run out of steam early in the game. But you’d be wrong. The movies set to be released this summer are all highly anticipated films worthy of eager audiences.

In June, you’ll be able to see “Ocean’s Thirteen” and “Hostel: Part Two” on June 8, “Fantastic Four: The Rise of the Silver Surfer” and “Nancy Drew” on June 15, and “Evan Almighty” on June 22.

The illustrious July 4 weekend brings us “Live Free or Die Hard” and “Transformers.”

On July 15, wizards will line the street to see the latest Hogwarts installment, “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.”

The long wait for Homer and Marge fans will finally end on July 27, when “The Simpsons Movie” hits theatres.

Summer finishes strong with “The Bourne Ultimatum” on Aug. 3, and “Rush Hour 3” on Aug. 10.

The rest of the year promises to be entertaining as well, with releases like “Saw IV” on Oct. 26, “Beowulf” on Nov. 16, “I Am Legend” on Nov. 21, and “Alien vs. Predator: Survival of the Fittest” and “National Treasure: The Book of Secrets” on Dec. 21.

Obviously, these films aren’t likely to be up for any Academy Awards. But that’s not really their agenda. These movies are looking to break the bank and set records doing so.

It looks to be a strong year ahead for Hollywood. It will also be a real measuring rod of whether Hollywood’s recent dwindling numbers are due to lack of audience interest in what studios are putting out there or to new trends in movie watching that don’t include going to the local multiplex.