Rumors of flu vaccine shortage untrue according to Health Educator

Health center to receive next shipment of FluMist Thursday

More than 900 students lined up to receive their flu vaccinations over the past two days, according to health center officials. With such large volumes of students seeking the vaccine amidst a flu outbreak on campus, a health center employee gave reassurance that there would be sufficient vaccines for all students.

Health Educator Megan Knapp confirmed that the Dallas County Department of Public Health provided vaccinations in ample supply to accommodate any student who desired one.

Knapp said the health center is temporarily out of the alternate nasal vaccine FluMist. It is a popular alternative to the needle injection. Entering the same way as the flu virus, it is faster acting than a traditional vaccine, building immunity within 24 hours rather than two weeks for the injection form.

Knapp said the health center expects the next shipment of FluMist to come in Thursday and be available for students at that time. The cost of the FluMist nasal spray has decreased from $50 to $20 for students only.

The health center will be holding another flu shot clinic on Thursday with free vaccinations available provided by the Dallas County Department of Health. FluMist will also be available. According to Knapp, the tentative time of the clinic will be from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., in the commuter lounge in Hughes-Trigg Student Center.