Play cooks up thief, murderer

Play cooks up thief, murderer
Play cooks up thief, murderer

Play cooks up thief, murderer

When SMU theater professor and director Cecil O’Neal saw the one man tour-de-force titled “The Good Thief” on a New York stage, he immediately thought of one man – his friend and collaborator, David Garver.

“I got the script and was terrified,” said Garver, an actor from Taos, N.M. “I mean, it’s 47 pages of Irish dialect!”

The play, written by renowned Irish playwright Conor McPherson, won the 1995 Stewart Parker Trust Award.

“The Good Thief” is a dark comedy told by an ex-con, exploring themes of violence and morality. The character is extremely complex, a trait which ultimately drew O’Neal to directing the production.

“It’s a small-time thug telling the story about a job that went terribly wrong,” O’Neal said. “It really lets the audience see the humanity of a character whom one would not usually sympathize with.”

O’Neal knew vehemently that Garver would be suitable for the role.

“The actor needs to be believable with a darker side,” he said. “But he must also have the emotional side so that the audience may see the humanity of the character.”

Although the role would be arduous, Garver was intrigued about playing the questionable and complex character.

“The guy’s an ex-con, he burned houses and shot, beat and tortured people!” Garver said. “But – there is something beautiful and human about this man at the same time.”

“Plus,” he said, “he’s funny as hell.”

Junior acting major Michael Hanson said the play offers compassion that is touching to almost everyone.

“It’s beautiful and terrifying at the same time,” Hanson said. “It’s a gripping tale of sadness, humor and tragedy. Also, Professor O’Neal is such a well-respected director, at SMU and in Dallas.”

Garver agreed with the reputation attributed to O’Neal.

“I must admit that I was terrified to stand in a living room in front of Cecil O’Neal and just begin,” he said. “But I’m so proud of this show and the work we’ve done, not to mention that I’m proud, honored, and privileged to work with Cecil.”

Garver encouraged SMU students to come get a taste of “great modern theater.”

“The play is brilliant in its sparseness, its realism, its indifference and compassion,” he said. “It’s a cry for humanity. Also, it’s very Irish and uncompromising.”

“The Good Thief” runs until Saturday at the Kitchen Dog Theater on McKinney Avenue.