Converts find peace in Islam

Converts find peace in Islam
Converts find peace in Islam

Converts find peace in Islam

Speakers at a panel discussion of converts to Islam agree that it takes research and soul searching to step out of the box and find a religion that fits a specific belief system. For those who are lucky enough to find a system that they believe in, the only thing left to do is make it official by converting.

Born into a Southern Baptist family, John Janney was devoutly religious up until the 10th grade. By the 11th grade, Janney found himself living a lifestyle that did not mirror the religious beliefs held by himself and his family. It wasn’t until college that he decided to bring religion back into his life.

“I didn’t feel whole,” Janney explained. It seemed the only way to bring his life back together was through God.

As Janney spent time studying the Bible and trying to deepen his spirituality, discrepancies seemed to pop out at him.

“How could Jesus be both God and the son of God?” he often asked himself and others. From his questions, Janney developed his own philosophy of Jesus as a teacher, not a God to be worshipped. This set him apart from the Southern Baptist upbringing he had in Mississippi.

During his struggle to understand his religion, Janney’s life was moving right along, and so was his quest for a place to live. After responding to an ad on a bulletin board, Janney found Billal, or Bill, as he called himself in his ad. Bill welcomed Janney to his apartment and soon became “the ideal college roommate,” Janney said, because he was never home.

It didn’t take long for Janney to realize that Bill was often gone because he was involved in the Muslim community and in religious activities. As many roommates do, Janney and Bill often shared conversations into the wee hours of the morning. It was during one of these late-night conversations that Janney’s interest was piqued when he learned that Jesus is considered a teacher in Islam. It was also during one such conversation that Janney was introduced to the Quran and Bill offered him a copy to take and read at his leisure.

From then it didn’t take long for Janney to accept Islam because all of his basic beliefs were there. All he had to do was to make it official by giving the statement of faith: “There is no god apart from God, and Muhammad is the Messenger of God.”

Janney’s new life started as a Muslim on that day in 1995. As he shared his new religion with those around him, the reactions were mixed.

“Friends do tend to drop like flies,” he said.

With their Baptist background, his relatives knew little about Islam but understood more as they learned more. Since his conversion, he feels his family bonds have grown stronger with his faith.

“The family that prays together stays together,” convert Evelyn Akram said.

Janney is among many Americans who have converted to Islam. While each person has his own story, parallels are obvious in what drives them to convert.

Many feel that the Bible leaves too many questions unanswered and has too many contradictions. For Janney and several others, Islam has answered their questions and made them feel complete.

Once they have converted, many Muslim Americans take a new perspective on their culture. While Islam is as widespread in the Middle East as Christianity is in America, many traditions aren’t observed by the majority in the United States. There are adjustments to be made in dress, holidays and sometimes in the workplace.

Akram finds it easy to incorporate modesty and dignity into Western dress. In addition, the transition was smooth in the workplace because her co-workers were respectful of her beliefs.

“I have not had any regrets about my conversion, and I have not faced any major barriers,” Akram said, voicing a view seconded by many converts.