It’s all inside the bag

Brown Bag allows students to see the lighter side of performing arts
 Its all inside the bag
It’s all inside the bag

It’s all inside the bag

The first of two annual Brown Bag performances begins Monday Oct. 7 in the Meadows atrium.

All Meadows dance majors are allowed to audition, but only a select number (a little over half) actually perform in the 50 minute special.

Brown Bag gets its name from the mixture of pieces that are performed each semester.

There is no particular theme for the show. The pieces are choreographed by the dance majors themselves.

The show features mixed dance genres to popular music including hip hop, contemporary and rock.

Last semester, the show was sprinkled with music from Michael Jackson and Creed which were huge crowd pleasers.

“Brown Bag is a favorite among the dancers because of the informal atmosphere between the audience and the performers,” said senior dance major Jeana Rebers. “It’s very upbeat and fun.”

Students are allowed to sit in a circle around the stage which allows for more interaction and excitement.

Many of the pieces for Brown Bag are self-inspired by the choreographers.

They get to interpret the music as they like so each piece has its own unique expression of how it drives the dancers.

Overall, it’s a more enjoyable show for the students who aren’t familiar with the fine arts.

The collection of 2 to 5 minute pieces are designed to entertain and bring out creativity in Meadows dance students. This factor makes the auditions quite competitive.

A set of four dance professors and directors judge the pieces before they can enter the show.

“We select the pieces based on choreography and complexity, as well as if it’s reputable and suitable for the noon hour,” said director of dance operations Karen Kriete.

“I choreographed a tap piece which is a remix version of The Beach Boys’ ‘Wipeout,'” said dance major Kendra Sides. “The piece is a lot of fun and it gets the crowd into it.”

What can we expect this year?

“It’s a very diverse program with a nice balance to it,” Kriete said. “The pieces are either a view of the dark side or frivolous and light-hearted in nature.”

It’s a grab bag, but you might see a strong ballet performance to Enya, a little bit of modern and a salute to jazz with “Sing Sing Sing.” You can’t find out what’s in the bag unless you show up.

The schedule for Brown Bag is Mon. Wed. Fri. 12:00 to 12:50 and T/Th 12:30 to 1:20.

“The show is only 50 minutes to allow for students to get to their afternoon classes,” said Sides.

If you can’t get to the fall dance concert because of mid-terms, Brown Bag is a great opportunity to see SMU’s fine talent.

Admission is free of charge.