Don’t like it?

Student Senate
 Dont like it?
Don’t like it?

Don’t like it?

Then change it! This week is the final week any full- or part-time student, faculty or staff member can submit a proposal to change the Student Code of Conduct. While this opportunity has been available each year, it is often not taken advantage of. When we ask why, we get some responses very frequently. I am going to go ahead and try to address some of those questions: 

I don’t even really know what the student code looks like, much less what’s in it. How can I find out?

For starters, the code is contained in the Student Handbook given out to first-years when they check in. There are copies of the handbook available for the rest of us in the Dean of Student Life’s Office, the Student Activities Center, and the Residence Life & Student Housing Office. Or just send me an e-mail and I’ll send you one. As far as what’s in the code, simply put, everything. And if it’s not in there, you can propose that it be put in there. Right now the code has sections on rights, freedoms, responsibilities and general policies covering everything from alcohol to facilities to conduct, and sections on campus organizations and greek life. 

One of the more interesting comments I get is, why would I want to change it?

Well, if there is a university policy that, say, occasionally bothers you … or sometimes you violate a rule and think that it is just bull honky. Look it up, and come up with an idea to change it. It honestly is not as hard as some people think. And if you have questions, ask any of your student body officers (Dustin Odham, student body president, Britt Moen, student body vice president, and myself) for help. 

Another question wonders why I care?

When you elected me to be your student body secretary, you also elected me to be the chair of the Student Code of Conduct committee which is the body that will consider all the requests bound to come flying in after everybody reads this.

Additionally, this is a great opportunity for students to set the policy which governs their everyday lives – something Dustin, Britt and myself are dedicated to. 

The question I usually don’t hear, but wish I did, is how do I change the code?

You can pick up a code change proposal form in the Student Activities Center on the third floor of Hughes-Trigg, and proposals are due by 5 p.m. Friday. The instructions are there, as well as my number and e-mail for questions. Or, just send me an e-mail and I’ll let you know what’s up with the student code, or any other concern you have.