Jersey Mike’s to give out free subs

One dollar and a free sandwich could be your good deed this Friday.

For a second year in a row, Jersey Mike’s Subs has dedicated the month of March to contribute to Wipe Out Kids’ Cancer (WOKC).

Monday marks the second annual “WOKC Day,” when all 14 Dallas Jersey Mikes will be giving away a free regular sub to those who donate at least $1 to WOKC.

SMU students and faculty, however, get a WOKC day of their own this Friday at the Jersey Mike’s on Greenville Avenue. Present your SMU ID with a donation of at least $1 and you’ll receive a free regular sub.

On the same day in Fort Worth, Jersey Mike’s Hulen Street location will also be giving free subs to horn frog students and faculty when they donate at least $1.

Whichever school has more students go into the respective sub locations wins a prize.

Jersey Mike’s contribution has been going on well before this weekend as it is also donating money each time it sells a sub. From Feb. 28, the sub shop has been giving 25 cents of every regular-sized sub and 50 cents of every giant sub sold to WOKC.

Dalton Stewart, area director for Jersey Mike’s Subs and owner of the Greenville Avenue location, was involved in starting this fundraiser last year and is eager for the current campaign.

“For me, and I think for all the other owners I can speak for, it was something very humbling and special to be helpful for,” he said. “Last year we put this deal together and I got a chance to, all of us collectively, got a chance to be apart of something really neat.”

While it is requested that everyone brings at least $1 on the various WOKC days, Stewart urges people donate more to the North Texas organization.

“We’re hoping people give more than a dollar,” he said. “We’re hoping people give five and ten and whatever they can.”

The fundraiser last year earned over $50,000, which went toward four pediatric cancer research trials in 2011 at Children’s Medical Center Dallas and Cook Children’s Medical Center For Worth.

“The formula we put together was basically us giving for a month, then we have a final day when we have the community stand with us in giving,” Stewart said. Collaboratively, they all have the chance “to raise money for an organization that does really amazing things for these kids. And it is really something amazing to be part of.”

Jersey Mike’s Subs

Location: 5521 Greenville Ave., Dallas, 75206, 214-692-6985

Hours: Monday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.