Webzine launches at SMU

An online magazine focusing on news and entertainment for college girls is launching its latest branch at SMU.

Her Campus SMU launches Sept. 6 and campus correspondent Caroline Wright is leading the charge.

“I had heard about the site from many of my friends at other colleges who were avid readers or wrote for their school’s branch,” Wright, an SMU junior, said. “I immediately loved how the site only talked about topics that were relevant to me as a college girl and wished I had read these articles before my first year of college.”

Her Campus (HerCampus.com) is an online magazine designed to serve as a hotspot for college women and their life on campus. The site has articles on everything from style to health to career.

The website was founded by three friends at Harvard and has since grown into a national site serving over 175 campuses.

The site features more general content for its national audience, as well as campus-specific articles to fit the needs of its collegiate women’s audience. The magazine also serves as a way for aspiring journalists to get content published on a national scale.

“Her Campus SMU will provide women at SMU with personalized information just for them about getting the most out of college life as a woman at SMU, with information on campus events, a photo blog, campus ‘celebrities’ and more,”

Her Campus CEO and co-founder Stephanie Kaplan said.

The SMU team has collected material and written articles for the site’s launch all summer long, and Wright can’t wait to share the online magazine with the rest of campus.

“My favorite section of the site is the My Campus Branch News part because the news articles and events are specific to each of the schools’ students, whether it is about night life, classes, love life or fitness tips,” Wright said.

“We’re really excited to open up Her Campus SMU and to work with someone as talented as Caroline Wright,” Kaplan said in a recent press release. “As the new semester begins, having an academic institution like SMU contributing to Her Campus on a regular basis should be a tremendous resource for our growing audience.”