Clearing the air

Administration revises drug policy

SMU’s drug testing policy may leave a sour taste in some students’ mouths, but the reinforced policy is a welcome addition to the Student Handbook for many student leaders.

According to James E. Caswell, vice president of Student Affairs, after meeting with many student leaders last spring, the Student Affairs office decided to take the next step in enforcing the ban of illegal drugs.

“One of the themes that kept getting brought up to us was the issue of illegal drug use,” Caswell said. “A perception, whether it is a reality or not, is that the university was not as clear and tough as some student leaders felt we should be.”

Under the policy in the Student Code of Conduct, if a violation of any local, state or federal law regarding drugs is committed, that student is subject to disciplinary action in the university judicial system. A student may face suspension in addition to drug counseling, fines or deferred suspension.

Now, the newest sanction states that if a student is found guilty of an illegal drug charge he could be subject to a random drug test while under deferred suspension.

One of the goals of the Student Affairs office is to respond to the issues of the students on campus. By adding the new sanction, students and administration hope this will be a step in the right direction.

“It certainly is a concern and although I would not want this to be a problem on campus, I think this a step towards solving it,” said Steven Schindler, student trustee. “I’m comfortable with Dr. Caswell and his staff that this policy will be handled properly and fairly.”

A major concern about the random testing was the issue of student privacy.

“Although privacy is invaded, I would think that past violations would warrant them to use drug tests,” first-year Courtney Hebb said.

The random drug testing will only take place if a student has already been convicted of drug charges and is under deferred suspension.

“We are an educational institution,” Caswell said. “We try to treat them individually, respect their rights, but also the rights of others.”

The administration sent students a bulk e-mail explaining the random testing as well as outlining the campus drug policy in general.

“One of our attempts in the news release was [to convey] that we do suspend people for illegal drug use,” Caswell said. “And depending on the violation we can put them on suspension and now in addition we may ask them for random drug testing.”

If a student tests positive for drug use he will be suspended immediately.

According to Caswell, the Student Affairs office also knows that the new drug testing policy is not meant to overshadow other campus problems.

“It was not in any way to suggest that alcohol abuse, our number one problem, does not exist,” he said. “It continues to be a problem and we will continue to suspend students who are drunk and acting improperly.”

Caswell hopes this new addition will take action on campus and serve its purpose.

“This was simply another sanction to deter drugs and let folks know that this is not a tolerable activity. This is support to say that this is not a place for illegal drugs.”