April not fooling around with box office

It is not often that April plays host to films that are both reveled by the press and enjoyed by the masses.

As the month before the studio’s grand summer blockbusters are set to come out, April is usually just a waiting ground for films of lesser depth.

However, this April it seems as if the box office will receive a much-needed boost, as a number of films have promising outlooks.

Starting the month off right, the family-focused animated movie, “Hop” matched the yearly record for a weekend box-office haul as it brought in close to $38 million in projected ticket sales.

Finishing second behind “Hop” was the science fiction action thriller, “Souce Code.” The film, which features box-office star Jake Gyllenhaal, received a considerable amount of buzz when the trailer was released.

While “Source Code” may not have been the box-office champ for its opening weekend, be assured that the film will have legs for weeks to come.

Opening weekend aside, April’s biggest releases come later in the month as stars like Cate Blanchett, Helen Mirren and James Franco grace the silver screen.

Mirren, alongside British funnyman Russell Brand, stars in April’s most promising comedy, “Arthur.”

The film follows Brand’s character as he risks losing his family’s large inheritance after falling for a woman that his family deems ill-fitting. Mirren plays Hobson, a wing-man/trainer for Brand’s “Arthur.”

A sleeper hit is in the makings with Cate Blanchett’s “Hanna.” Starring “The Lovely Bones'” Saorise Ronan as a cold-blooded assassin, foresightedly trained by her father to someday carry out an unknown mission.

The famous horror film franchise “Scream” comes shrieking back into theatres with its fourth installment, “Scream 4.”

The film is a modge-podge of sorts in terms of its cast.

Mixing original characters from its early success like Courtney Cox and Neeve Cambell and up-and-coming actresses like Hayden Panetierre and Emma Roberts, “Scream 4” hopes to return to the franchise’s roots of a successful horror film.

Two of the box office’s biggest names, Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon, team up to tackle the lead roles in the book adaptation, “Water for Elephants.”

Rounding up April’s notable releases is no other than spring-season regular, Tyler Perry. Continuing with his uber-succesful Madea motif, Perry’s latest film is titled “Madea’s Big Happy Family.”