Riding the Wave

Student vandal breaks Meadows Museum sculpture
 Riding the Wave
Riding the Wave

Riding the Wave

The newly arrived wave sculpture by world-renowned architect Santiago Calatrava was damaged Sunday evening when a student jumped on it.

According to police reports, a student decided he wanted to ride the Wave outside the Meadows Museum. He ran up behind the statue, jumped on it and broke two of the beams. The student fell off and ran away after finding out what he had done.

Police were able to identify the student from security camera footage, however they have not yet released his name.

After confronting him with the videotape, the student confessed to the damage.

The cost of damage for the $1.5 million statue has not yet been determined.

The student will face charges from the SMU judicial board and possible criminal charges.

The charge the student will face will be determined when the cost of damage is assessed. A class A theft is classified as damage between $500 to $1500. Class B theft ranges $50 to $500 of damage and a class C less than $50.

“The Wave is a work of art, a study in form, function and beauty better enjoyed by all than vandalized,” said Amy Duncan, Meadows Museum administrator.

This is not the first time this the statue has been damaged. Friday night, the Wave’s reflecting pool was filled with soap and a bottle of liquid detergent was later found in the pool.

“This is nothing to play with. Cameras and security are on these facilities and pieces of art at all times,” said Capt. Mike Snellgrove of the SMU Police Department.

In the past the SMU Police Department has taken action to prevent vandalism by banning all skateboards and trick bikes on campus after benches were destroyed on campus and the front of the Meadows building. People that are caught on campus skating and destroying campus property that are not affiliated with SMU get a warning. If they are caught again, they are given a criminal trespassing ticket. If they are affiliated with SMU they are sent to the judicial board.