Students met representatives of Corporation for National and Community Service

Service-focused students had the opportunity to meet and greet with representatives of the Corporation for National and Community Service this past Thursday.

Robert Velasco and his staff hosted a roundtable discussion with students from the SMU Service House (SMUSH) and the Academic Center of Engagement (ACE).

Velasco is the Acting CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) for the Obama Administration. As a federal agency, CNCS engages and employs over five million Americans in service programs such as Senior Corps, AmeriCorps, and Learn and Serve America.

This agency works in conjunction with President Obama’s national call to service initiative, United We Serve.

The roundtable discussion focused on youth and service, specifically on topics such how to serve the community, future service options and youth issues in general.

Prior to the roundtable, SMUSH hosted an Asian-fusion dinner and the opportunity to talk with Velasco and his staff.

ACE also serves as a RLSH-operated housing community for four students who tutor children every week. ACE residents Coral Robles and Demi Martinez, both SMU sophomores, attended the dinner and roundtable.

Robles’ favorite part of being part of ACE is “the children, because it’s the same twelve kids coming throughout the year.”

“We’re just there as a support system and let them know that they can become the next leaders in the world,” Robles said.

Martinez expressed similar sentiments as Robles.

“The kids are so much fun, and you develop a relationship with the kids because they come Monday, Wednesday and Friday,” Martinez said. “They know we’re always there to help them, even if it’s not school related. It’s just so cute.”

Director of ACE Dr. Michael Cruz believes ACE is a great “program for students to get involved doing community service.”

As a resident of SMUSH, Sania Ahmad enjoyed meeting with Velasco, and hearing about future service opportunities.

Velasco enjoyed returning to his alma mater.

“I had such a wonderful experience here it was really transformative,” Velasco said. “[SMU] really helped support me into my own leadership development.”

While at SMU, Velasco received MA and BA in English and a BS in Political Science. He was awarded the M Award for service to SMU and the Dallas community in 1991.