MBA program ranks 12 in BusinessWeek ranking

BusinessWeek recently ranked the SMU Cox School of Business full-time MBA program 12th among a list of United States business schools.

The ranking went up six spots from its 2008 ranking of 18th in the nation, putting the Cox School in the top 15 for all of its graduate programs.

“Our students and recruiters have spoken, and the Cox School has again received glowing recognition,” Albert W. Niemi, Jr., dean of the Cox School, said in a press release. “Having a top-ranked MBA program begins with an outstanding faculty and offering admission to students with strong academic and professional backgrounds.

“However, regardless of the continual ebb and flow of the rankings, the Cox School continues to place the greatest emphasis on providing a classroom environment that allows our students to learn not just from our tremendous faculty but also from each other.”

BusinessWeek surveyed MBA students in the 2010 graduating class, as well as job recruiters, for their ranking. They also included an intellectual-capital rank. The Cox school earned an A+ from graduates for teaching and an A for career services. Graduates earned an A+ for both analytical skills and general management skills from job recruiters.

“We are so proud of our 2010 graduates and our Career Management Center for offering tireless, one-on-one guidance and counseling in a very difficult economy,” Marci Armstrong, associate dean of graduate programs, said in a press release. “Our small, private school environment offers a highly-personalized experience for students and recruiters, and we are honored to have earned this recognition.”

The Cox School of Business is ranked No. 9 in BusinessWeek’s rankings of EMBA programs.

BusinessWeek also ranks Cox No. 15 for PMBA programs. The Financial Times ranks Cox No. 3 for finance and No. 6 for its entrepreneurship program.

The Economist ranks Cox No. 13 in alumni networks and among the top 15 for networking potential, alumni effectiveness and faculty quality.