Program Council seeks headliner for ‘Mane Event’

OAR, Maroon 5, Live and Vanilla Ice top list of candidates

OAR, Maroon 5, Live, Nappy Roots, and Hootie and the Blowfishare only a few of the bands that SMU’s Program Council arelooking to invite to perform at the end of the school year eventknown as “The Mane Event.”

This spring, PC will join Student Foundation in sponsoring theevent, but the question of what band to invite is still up in theair.

“We simply want to represent what the students want, butwe need feedback to pursue booking a band,” said PC VicePresident of Programming Stephanie Schroder.

Schroder believes that with student input, the Mane Event willbe a huge success.

The council advisor Traci Ray agreed.

“Picking a band is one of many hurdles we have to clear tomake sure people will come, which is why we need to know whatstudents want,” Ray said.

With PC’s budget, they were looking for bands that are onthe “up-and-coming” list, she said.

PC hopes to narrow the list, which as of this week stillincluded Vanilla Ice, as soon as possible.

“We know that Madonna probably isn’t going to come,but we want everyone to come and enjoy the music,” Schrodersaid.

The Mane Event, which in the past three years has brought inVertical Horizon, 112 and Coolio, also includes other activitiessuch as mechanical bull rides and oxygen bars.

This year, the council is looking to have a state-of-the-artdrunk driving simulator, which is part of a national alcoholawareness effort, cash giveaways and “The Screamer,” avirtual roller coaster. But the main attraction is still theband.

“This event remains free to all students who want toparticipate, and there’s really no reason they wouldn’twant to, it’s like an end of the year party,” said thecouncil President of Programming Fidan Kasra.

“We hope students will give us some feedback on what theywant.”

For more information on the Mane Event or to post feedback sendan e-mail to [email protected] or contact Traci Ray at(214) 768-4405.