Bad tans, big muscles take over Hughes-Trigg Theater

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus

(Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

Tyler Vaughan and Jessica Bartol were named the winners of the 14th annual Mr. and Ms. SMU Body Building Competition Tuesday evening.

Flexing their muscles, the 11 competitors posed in a variety of positions for the three judges.

Taking home the gold, which complemented his tan, Vaughan said going into the competition he had no idea he would come out the winner.

“In all my years at SMU, this was the most level playing field,” he said. “It was nice to win after so many months of training and dieting.”

A member of Pi Kappa Alpha, Vaughan is a senior from Birmingham, Ala. majoring in mechanical engineering. 

Bartol, the 2012 female champion and member of the SMU soccer team, is a sports management and applied physiology major from Durango, Colo

As a shy and modest person, Bartol said the biggest challenge was stepping out of her comfort zone.

“This was something nobody expected me to do, including myself,” she said. “I wanted to prove to myself that I could be one of those girls out there on stage.”

While being honored with the Ms. SMU 2012 title was exciting, she said she gained more from the experience than she expected.

“Winning was awesome, but it was only a part of my overall experience with the self confidence I have gained being on a stage all alone showing off nothing but my bikini and my personality,” she said.  

Coming in second was Andrew Johnson who also was awarded best poser. Landon Banister took home the bronze.

Placing second in 2010 and again this year was Nina Sosa Rivera. However, this year she was awarded best female poser. Coming in third was Ally Totah.