On pointe

Brown Bag offers eclectic lunch hour for diverse music tastes
 On pointe
On pointe

On pointe

With a “boom, boom, boom and a bang, bang, bang,” Meadows dancers did their thing in the first Brown Bag performance of the fall semester.

High-energy choreography created by junior dance major Travis Kelley wowed the audience and brought out the individualism of each dancer in the opening performance. The fast-paced musical accompaniment “Do Your Thing” by Basement Jaxx kept the audience involved and energy flowing from the dancers to the crowd.

Kelley said he was inspired to use the piece after creating it this summer in a dance workshop.

“I already had dancers from SMU in mind when I originally choreographed the piece this summer,” he said.

Kelley is honored that his piece was chosen as the opening number to a collection of other student-choreographed routines in the show.

An abstract piece entitled “Dark Days,” choreographed by junior dance major Janine Beckles, followed the high-vitality of the opening number as the trio of female dancers captivated audiences with their interpretive movements, precision and poise.

“Pieces like this reflect the sincere creativity that choreographers put into their work,” said Trey Bell, audience member and sophomore vocal performance major.

Bell dances ballet, tap, jazz and modern in programs outside of SMU and says he really admires the talent on campus.

Both veterans and newcomers to Brown Bag showcased their talent for students, faculty, friends and family who watched the 11 routines during their lunch hour.

“The informal setting is a great way for people to get acquainted with the versatile dancing Meadows offers,” junior dance major Kasha Liggett said.

Liggett says she loves performing at Brown Bag each year and being choreographed by her peers.

“It’s a challenge working three or four days a week for two to three hours at a time, but it really pays off when we perform for our friends and family,” Liggett said.

First-year dancer Cristofer Cangero says he is pleased to be cast in Brown Bag as his first performance at Meadows.

“College is a bit of an adjustment with all of the extra rehearsals, but it’s a lot of fun,” Cangero said.

Brown Bag Series One continues through the end of the week from noon to 12:50 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and 12:30 to 1:20 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday in the atrium of the Meadows School of the Arts.