Tri Delta raises money for St. Jude

Students participate in Tri Delta’s Triple Play softball game to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Hospital on Sunday at Glencoe Park.
REBECCA HANNA/The Daily Campus

Students participate in Tri Delta’s Triple Play softball game to raise money for St. Jude Children’s Hospital on Sunday at Glencoe Park. (REBECCA HANNA/The Daily Campus)

Cancer survivor and former St. Jude’s patient Regan Peel threw out the opening pitch of the championship game during the Tri Delta Triple Play softball tournament Sunday afternoon.

The annual philanthropy event brought out 14 teams from fraternities, sororities, sports teams and other campus organizations to participate in the tournament at Glencoe Park.

Each team paid a fee to participate and all of the money went to support St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.

This year the tournament raised around $2,000.

St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, which is located in Memphis, Tenn., costs $1.8 million per day to operate.

SMU Tri Delta hosted the competition as a fundraiser to help support children like 13-year-old Peel.

Peel, who has also thrown the opening pitch at a Texas Rangers game, has been cancer-free for five years but still goes back to St. Jude’s once a year for check-ups and to participate in cancer research.

“We think it’s pretty special,” Tri Delta Philanthropy Chair Keara O’Brien said. “This is the first time anyone from St. Jude has gotten to come out and see the event.”

The tournament was run elimination bracket-style.

The final round came down to the team from Sigma Phi Epsilon and the team of SMU soccer players.

After a close game, Sig Ep claimed the championship title.

“We just came out to raise money for St. Jude and have a good time,” junior Aaron Davis said.

Davis played on a team with several other SMU football players.

Local businesses also donated to the St. Jude charity and helped provide equipment and food for the softball tournament.

“It went way better than I had hoped,” O’Brien said. “It was a great success and it made it all worth it when Regan threw the first pitch. It was very meaningful and I’m so thankful for everyone’s participation and Tri Delt’s enthusiasm about the event.”