Guide to Dallas: Lower Greenville

Lower Greenville boasts New Orleans fun
+Guide+to+Dallas
Guide to Dallas

Guide to Dallas

Boasting over 35 bars and restaurants, lower Greenville Avenue is as close as Dallas will get to New Orleans’ infamous Bourbon Street. By day, eclectic boutiques and restaurants offer visitors a plethora of choices. As the sun sets and the neon signs awaken, clubs and bars open their doors and the streets come alive with the intoxicating aura of nightlife.

Snuffer’s is the quintessential low-key burger joint. Serving its notorious cheese fries with ranch dressing, Snuffer’s offers a laid-back dining experience. And for those who miss lunch, the kitchen stays open until 2 a.m. for late-night munchies.

For a classier taste of Dallas’ well-rounded mix of restaurants, Liberty Noodle combines fresh Asian-inspired noodle and rice dishes with a Bohemian dé#233;cor straight out of New York’s SoHo district. Closed on Mondays, valet parking is free for restaurant guests.

Next door to Snuffer’s, the pulsating rhythms of dance music echo through the crowded rooms of The Red Jacket. Reminiscent of Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, a sunken dance floor and cages filled with people transform the club into an arena of swirling bodies. On Sunday nights, the doors open to those 18 and older for Red Square Retro spinning classic ’80s hits.

Now in its twenty-sixth year, Poor David’s Pub intertwines the nightlife of Greenville with the relaxed atmosphere of Texas country. The stage that once hosted acts like Jerry Jeff Walker and Lyle Lovett casts its light on acts like Vince Vance and The Valiants, who are performing Aug. 24. A great venue to grab a beer, relax and listen to guitar music, Poor David’s admits those 21 and older.

Transporting its patrons to the damp cobblestone streets of Ireland, the Dubliner offers a carefree atmosphere. Run by natives of Dublin, this Irish pub serves a wide selection of imported beers and carries English and Irish newspapers. A helpful note – don’t piss off the bartenders by speaking Irish slurs.

If you’re looking for vintage values or costumes for the next theme party, Ragwear is a good choice. This shop provides customers with retro styles for men and women.

Flirty skirts and sexy dresses are only the icing on the cake at Avant. This small boutique gives fashion enthusiasts a variety of unique styles to choose from.

A major low point is that the lower Greenville stretch is spread out and not suitable for walking. Don’t let that be a thorn in your side, however. When the weekend comes, make a stop on Greenville and take in some Dallas flavor.