Mustang vies for Walker Award

For the first time in its 12-year history, the Doak Walker Award has a chance to return to the Hilltop, by way of sophomore running back ShanDerrick Charles. Charles, the first Mustang to rush for more than 200 yards in a single game since Eric Dickerson (a feat he repeated the next week) has the chance to bring the Doak Walker Award to its rightful place, the alma mater of the Hall of Fame and All-Everything running back Doak Walker.

Charles is one of 42 running backs named as preseason nominees for the Doak Walker Award, an honor given to the nation’s top college running back.

“It is terrific that ShanDerrick was nominated for the Doak Walker Award,” said Becky Walker, Assistant Director of the Athletic Forum. “He had a great season last year. It is great that the award has SMU representation.”

Other nominees include Maryland junior Bruce Perry, a finalist for the award last year, who ran for 1,242 yards and 10 touchdowns last season, Nevada sophomore and fellow WAC runner Chance Kretschmer who led the nation in yardage last season with 1,732 yards and 15 touchdowns, and Wisconsin junior Anthony Davis, who followed Kretschmer on the rushing list with 1,466 yards.

Charles amassed 860 yards and seven touchdowns last fall. While it seems modest by comparison, Charles only carried 134 times in 10 games, leading the WAC in yards per carry with 6.4.

“It is great for ShanDerrick to be recognized,” said head coach Phil Bennett. “He had an outstanding freshman season and it is obvious that he has great talent. I am looking for big things out of him, as well as the rest of our backs this year.”

Among the preseason nominees, only six are sophomores. Kretschmer is considered one of the favorites considering his level of production last season and his sophomore standing. Nevada returns a high-powered offense that will keep Kretschmer with the ball in his hands.

Among the candidates, there are three WAC players: Charles, Kretschmer, and Boise State senior Brock Forsey.

Charles will lead an SMU offense that struggled last season, giving up seven touchdowns to opposing defenses. SMU ranked near the bottom of the conference in nearly every offensive category, including next to last in touchdowns (27), trailed only by Tulsa (25).

Charles will be the mainstay in an offense that has undergone large changes in the off-season. In addition to a new Bennett-led staff, redshirt freshman Tate Wallis will start at quarterback, and with the injury to receiver Cris Cunningham, Charles will be the sole returning member of SMU’s three most productive skill position players from last season.

The preseason nominations are made by the Sports Information Directors from Division I-A schools and universities.

“We have a wonderful group of candidates and look forward to the exciting season ahead,” said Walker. “The wonderful thing about our award is that it is picked by SID’s from around the country.”

Last season, SMU’s Kris Briggs was an early nominee, but his displacement by Charles took him out of the pack.

The Doak Walker Award was started in 1990, when Greg Lewis from the University of Washington was the first recipient of the bronze trophy made in Walker’s likeness.

Of the past recipients, seven are on NFL rosters, including last year’s recipient, Luke Staley of Brigham Young University. Staley was drafted and signed by the Detroit Lions but will miss his rookie season due to knee surgery.