SMU PD warns of photo scam

Photo provided by SMU PD
Photo provided by SMU PD

Photo provided by SMU PD

SMU Police have issued a warning about a man who they say targets women and scams them into taking nude photos.

The man, whose alias is “Dean Kelly,” poses as an MTV producer and says he’s looking for women to pose for photos, according to police. Once the women arrive at the photo shoot, he tries to get them to pose nude.

“It’s all about meeting girls and trying to take nude pictures,” Detective Terry Trail said.

Trail described Kelly as a “sketchy guy.” Kelly targeted SMU women in 2008, approaching them at Moody Coliseum, Park Cities Plaza and the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports. SMU PD now say he’s back in Dallas.

Trail said SMU PD were advised of his return to Dallas by two non-SMU students who learned of SMU’s connection through past news stories. Kelly has not appeared on the SMU campus, Trail said.

Trail said SMU has been unable to issue Kelly with a criminal trespass warning, which would allow them to arrest him if he stepped on campus, because he never stays in one place for too long.

“It’s really hard to pin down his address,” Trail said. “He knows police are looking for him.”

For now, all they can do is issue a warning and check to see if he’s wanted in another area if they find him on campus.

Police are advising that anyone approached by this man to deny his request and then call the SMU Police Department as soon as possible by calling 214-SMU-3388. Anonymous information can be given at 214-SMU-2TIP or at smu.edu/2tip.