Alumna Jenna Jentry rocks local music scene

Meadows graduate Jenna Vitalone, also known as country artsist Jenna Jentry.
Courtesy

Meadows graduate Jenna Vitalone, also known as country artsist Jenna Jentry. (Courtesy)

SMU’s very own Jenna Vitalone or Jenna Jentry, her stage name, is taking the country music scene by storm. After releasing her new album in August titled Good As Gold, Jentry is hitting the ground running as an up and coming artist.

The singer-songwriter is a workaholic who has taken control of her success. Jentry graduated with double majors in advertising and Spanish. She calls Dallas home.

“I loved my four years at SMU. I actually wasn’t there to study music, but it definitely prepared me for all the hard work it takes to be in the country music industry,” Jentry said. “Being in a big city surrounded by creative, hardworking and driven people helped me keep in that same mentality and focus.”

Jentry has been working with multi-platinum producer and songwriter Kevin DeClue. The duo co-wrote the entire album with the exception of “Someday Soon.” For Jentry, songwriting came naturally even at an early age. Jentry even had her first poem published when she was five years old.

Jentry said, “I started taking my music seriously towards the end of high school. During college, I would go to class during the day. Then I would go to the recording studio at night to practice my songwriting and singing. I had tons of songs I had written over the past few months and I went out to Nashville in hopes to create an industry buzz with the music I had created.”
In 2010, Jentry earned a spot in the National Song Alliance International (NSAI) Song Contest Finals presented by Country Music Television. She later captivated judges in the UK’s Songwriting Competition which took her to the finals. Music is a passion of Jentry’s and she hopes to continue and further her musical career.

“I hope to keep playing sold out shows and getting new fans. I’d love to play a concert on the Boulevard at SMU. Jack Ingram, a SMU alum, played there a few years ago and I said to myself,” Jentry said. “I want to do that one day.”

Jentry has had a busy 2012, opening for The Band Perry, Scotty McCreery, Jo Dee Messina and many others. Jentry’s new single “Lovin’ Lazy” is popping up in stations across the East Coast. For aspiring muscians Jentry has some advice.

“Work hard every single day. From the moment you wake up until the moment you go to bed, you should be working towards your dream in some way,” Jentry said. “You’re going to hear a lot of people telling you ‘no,’ but believe in your talent and your music. Surround yourself with a good team and never give up.”