Senate discusses budget, organization charters

SMU Student Senate attempted to tackle a variety of housekeeping issues to prepare for the spring semester at its meeting Tuesday.

The finance committee held a retreat on Sunday, where they allocated funds to make the senate’s budget for next semester.

Each organization of the senate has to make a budget, requesting funding in order to receive financial support. Due to “communication errors,” the official budget was submitted late and had yet to be processed.

During the meeting, this caused confusion among the senators as to why the budgets had not yet been approved.

Finance Chair Rachel Fox will address “the exact number of funding” at next week’s meeting.

Fox also acknowledged that, due to an “accounting error,” the finance committee thought it had a smaller budget. Now that the error has been corrected, the committee has more funding to allocate.

Three clubs sent representatives to appeal to the senate after their clubs’ charters were revoked.

Students Jordan Lee and Emily Moses represented Bhakti Yoga Club, which had its charter revoked due to a lack of signatures at the most recent mandatory organizations meeting (MOM).

Bhakti Yoga meets in Hughes-Trigg on Wednesday nights. Lee explained that there are usually 15 to 20 members present, although individual attendance is inconsistent.

Lee stressed that the club does not really use any SMU resources other than a room and that it offers students a venue to “meditate and relax” and have “discussion about all sorts of different topics.”

Also appealing their charter revocation was the University Libertarian Club. Junior Stephen Ceccon attended the senate meeting to explain how the club benefits the SMU community.

“We [provide] a unique and increasingly popular political perspective here on campus,” Ceccon said.

However, Alexis Goldberg, organizations committee chair, rei

terated that the charters have to be revoked because the clubs did not comply with MOM rules.

“The MOM exists to make sure SMU is in compliance with Texas state laws,” Goldberg said. The clubs can, however, immediately reapply to reinstate their charters.