SMU Beta recognized nationally

ADRIANA OVAOLLE/The Daily Campus
Beta Theta Pi fraternity was officially recognized as a chartered chapter.

Beta Theta Pi fraternity was officially recognized as a chartered chapter. (ADRIANA OVAOLLE/The Daily Campus)

SMU’s Gamma Omega Chapter of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity was officially recognized as a chartered chapter in July.

The chapter was represented in Seattle at Beta’s 175th general convention by 10 brothers and was awarded the Francis H. Sisson and John Reily Knox awards.These awards are the fraternity’s highest honors and were based on a number of criterions including community and campus involvement, philanthropic contributions, chapter stability and growth potential.

Beta joins other campus fraternities in their re-chartering and awards reception; according to Fraternity and Sorority Life Director Kristal Statler, Kappa Alpha Order was re-chartered last spring and Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI) received a similar award this past summer.

After predominately drug related infractions, Beta was removed from SMU in 2006 by the fraternity’s administrative office. In 2009 Beta was recolonized but still lacked the full stamp of approval from the general fraternity. Recognition from SMU has no bearing on Beta’s standing within the national fraternity and chartering.

The charter allows Beta to act more autonomously and qualifies them to receive more resources from general fraternity.

According to sophomore Beta member Jeffrey Robillard, charter requirements include a clean risk management record, campus involvement outside of Beta alone, growing membership and fulfillment of 10 community service hours a semester.

“Getting a charter means we are here to stay. Its a big deal losing it and an even bigger deal to get one,” Beta President Andoni Vossos said. This will allow us to focus on gaining ground at SMU and achieving many philanthropic and structural goals.”

Currently standing at 75 members, Beta has almost tripled in the last two years. Vossos said the fraternity strives to stabilize with 80 to 110 members in the coming years.

Though Robillard admits Beta has faced challenges with campus respect and recognition, he believes the fraternity has made great strides.

“We want to be recognized as men of principle,” he said. We are proud to be gentlemen and want to be respected as being men of character, and as leaders at SMU and in our community.”

Junior Alex Munoz has been a Beta member since Spring 2010 and was one of the representatives at the summer convention.

“Beta is different from the other fraternities because we are involved in clubs and organizations outside of Beta,” Munoz said. “Our chapter is a diverse group of guys with many different interests, but we all have a common bond of being in Beta and want the best for the fraternity.”

Sophomore Olan Mijana agrees with Munoz’s sentiment.

“I rushed Beta because I saw the brotherhood all the guys had during rush week and wanted to be a part of such a great group of guys,” he said.

President Vossos hopes Beta will become a resource for others in the Greek community if needed.

“Despite having many challenges, the group’s hard work has paid off,” he said. “Fraternities at SMU are a big deal and Beta is happy to be a part of the mix.”