Lone Star Circus School takes workouts to new heights

The+class+encourages+students+to+get+acrobatic.+
SMU/Meredith Carey
The class encourages students to get acrobatic.

The class encourages students to get acrobatic. (SMU/Meredith Carey)

The Palaestra gym in Farmer’s Branch seems like every other gymnastics complex, with uneven bars in one corner and children bouncing sky high on enormous trampolines.

But deep in the far left corner hang eight brightly colored, 40-foot-long silks, along with trapezes and an aerial ring. Welcome to the Lone Star Circus School.

Channeling Cirque du Soleil, the Lone Star Circus teaches adult circus classes, where participants can workout while hanging among the gym’s rafters or swirling multiple hula hoops around their hips.

Circus school as exercise is part of a growing trend of unique and untraditional workout routines that is drawing people away from the stereotypical gym. From trampoline dodge ball at Cosmic Jump, to floating yoga on White Rock Lake, exercise junkies and couch potatoes alike are working to spice up their training.

“Circus classes are challenging but so rewarding,” instructor Alora Scavella said. “It’s all about reaching goals, but there are always more and more goals.”

The classes, which are offered for both beginners and intermediate adults, begins with stretching and abs workouts and moves on to the aerial silks, which are the concentration of the classes.

In the circus, performers wrap their legs or body in aerial silks in order to fall, suspend, swing, and spiral their bodies in and out of various positions. In the classes, basic climbing skills and tricks are used to increase core and upper body strength.

“We’ve had body builders with huge muscles come in here and not be able to climb the silks at first,” Scavella said. “You have to use every muscle group in your body and both sides of your brain.”

Lone Star Circus performer Raphaele Daubois agrees with Scavella and encourages beginners to not be discouraged if they have a hard time at first.

“Every challenge for beginners is engaging their whole body, ” Daubois said.

According to the circus school’s website the classes teach body balance, conditioning, and flexibility, in both their adult classes and their contortion classes.

“For me, circus classes are way more fun that regular workouts. Being upside down [in the silks] changes your perspective on the world,” participant Kelly Drumm said.

SMU personal trainer Caroline French encourages students to participate in workouts that they truly enjoy to get the best results.

“Exercise isn’t just about a short term fad-it should be part of your lifestyle. If you enjoy your workouts, then you are more likely to stick to them and ultimately be more successful,” French said.

French, who has had experience with aerial silk workouts before and has been a trainer at SMU for almost five years, said the silk workouts were one of the most challenging classes she has ever taken.

Scavella became an instructor after performing in the Lone Star Circus and hopes the classes’ difficulty and intensity does not prevent anyone from attending classes.

“Just come. You may have no flexibility but the contortion class will help you get there,” she said. “You’ll be surprised with what your body can do.”

The circus classes are not only worthwhile exercise classes, they also teach confidence. SMU theater professor Bill Lengfelder teaches movement classes and invites the Lone Star Circus to teach his students some circus arts.  While Lengfelder is in Ireland for the semester, the professor has left his class in the capable hands of Lone Star Circus founder and creative director, Fanny Kerwich.

“The courage they learn from anything from [chasseing] across the floor to stilt-walking to hanging trapeze encourages them to increase their courage in risk-taking on the stage as they act,” Lengfelder said.

The adults in the intermediate classes, who have attended class anywhere from around five months to three years, have gained this inner strength from circus classes.

As one woman, in her early 50s and a student in the intermediate class, turns her body upside down and climbs the silks using only her hands, her eyes watching the ground below her, it becomes very clear that circus classes teach its participants one main skill: fearlessness.

Among the blue, pink, green, and red silks, the leotard-clad women and men in sweatpants try, and try, and try to conquer handstands, the trapeze, and the silks, toning and tightening their core as they go.

While circus school may not be the first idea that comes to mind when looking for a new way to spice up workouts, the displayed strength of the classes instructors and participants will easily entice visitors to participate.

As the middle-aged woman continues to climb, Scavella points to her.

“That’s Becky. She’s been with us for about three years. She’s become mighty, mighty strong.”

Beginner classes are offered Monday and Thursday nights, as well as on Saturday mornings. Intermediate classes are offered Monday and Wednesday nights and on Saturday mornings.  Classes range from $15 to $23 and drop-ins are welcome.

Lone Star Circus offers a different kind of workout class. (SMU/Meredith Carey)