First years find campus niches

Members+of+SMU%E2%80%99s+Mustang+Heroes%2C+a+service+organization%2C+greet+first+years+at+Night+at+the+Club.+
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
Members of SMU’s Mustang Heroes, a service organization, greet first years at Night at the Club.

Members of SMU’s Mustang Heroes, a service organization, greet first years at Night at the Club. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Students filled Moody Coliseum Saturday evening for SMU’s annual Night at the Club. Night at the Club is a club fair tailored to first-year students put on by Student Activities and New Student Orientation and Student Support.

“Night at the club is such a fabulous way to learn about all the organizations on campus,” junior Savannah Stephens said.

After the first years returned from Mustang Corral, students headed over to Moody Coliseum for an opportunity to learn about student organizations as well have fun with games, food, prizes and more.

Some students were still reeling in excitement from Mustang Corral. “Mustang Corral is something everyone should do,” first year Blake Ann Seeker said.

“The leaders did a great job, but I’m excited to be back at SMU and to learn about all the organizations.”

Student organizations from Student Senate to Student Foundation to College Democrats and College Republicans were there telling students about their organizations and how to get involved. Some other organizations in attendance were a variety of religious organizations, academic organizations like SMU Speech and Debate team, along with SMU IFC and Panhellenic.

John Gray, an officer of SMU’s Chemistry Society, thinks that Night at the Club is an imperative event for organizations.

“It’s our only recruiting event of the year,” Gray said. “We’re excited to get people involved.”

Night at the Club offers lesser known organizations the opportunity to find potential members.

“Many people do not know we exist when they first come on to campus. There are always the national honor societies that students know about,” Mehdi Hami, a member of Persian Students Society, said.

“It gives us the opportunity to reach out to people who are either Persian or interested in Persian culture.”

Although the court of Moody Coliseum was packed from entrance to exit, students still managed to weave through and get pertinent information and goodies from groups.

Organizations handed out candy, cups, pens and even goldfish to students who came to their tables.

Many organizations also had flashy display boards with information about their group.

“Night at the Club is a nice way for us to get to know different activities going on campus,” first year Jordan Woodruff said. “I love that all the organizations are in a central location.”

Experienced students echoed the sentiment.

“It’s gotten better every year since I first did it,” an SMU alumna said.