Gamma Phi ‘rocks’ for spring philanthropy

Gamma Phi Beta sorority successfully launched its spring philanthropic event, “Rockin’ for a Cause” on Saturday in Dedman Sports Center.

The event consisted of rock climbing races for registered teams and individuals.

Gamma Phi members also sold T-shirts, bracelets, drinks, snacks and water bottles. All proceeds raised went to Gamma Phi Beta’s national charity, Campfire USA.

Many Gamma Phi members attended the event to show solidarity for its charity. Gamma Phi member Colleen Russo sold snacks and tabled for the event.

“All proceeds will go to Campfire USA, so it’s all for a good cause,” Russo said.

Gamma Phi philanthropy chair Allison Guthrie restarted the rock climbing charity event that had fallen out of use a few years ago.

“I realized we had a lack of a spring event and a lot of other Greeks do sporting event, and nobody had claimed the rock climbing wall,” Guthrie said. “We want to let it be known that Gamma Phis are here to rock the campus.”

Guthrie is responsible for all the philanthropy activities in the spring and next fall.

“We think it’s important to get the sororities and fraternities involved, but we noticed that there’s a lack of an event for individuals, especially non-Greeks,” Guthrie said.

According to philanthropy committee member Kyra McCarthy, the purpose of these spring philanthropy events are “to increase social life between sororities and fraternities, but non-Greeks can come too.”

This year nine teams participated. The majority of teams were Greek-life teams; however, some non-Greek organizations created teams too.

Representing the Pi Beta Phi sorority were first years Ashley Cooper and Morgan Riklin.

Neither rock climb “very often,” but both think that the Gamma Phi’s event is “different, but really cool.”

Meghan Poage and Rose Hurwitz represented the Delta Gamma sorority.

Katherine Wora, Erin Probst and Savannah Stephens represented the Alphia Chi Omega sorority.

Also present were non-Panhellenic groups such as the engineering fraternity Theta Tau.

Climbing for Theta Tau was Jennifer Fugate, Daniel Windham, Richard Dale and Alex Hughes.

“I’ve been rock climbing in my past,” Windham said.

The winner of the boys team went to Beta Upsilon Chi (BYX) and Delta Gamma was awarded overall girls team.

Individual winners went to Daniel Windham and Kelly Gilliland.