Volleyball team slams into fall season

Volleyball team slams into fall season
Volleyball team slams into fall season

Volleyball team slams into fall season

The SMU women’s volleyball team expects a strong season after the Red and Blue Scrimmage match on Tuesday against each other.

The Mustangs have been practicing the past two weeks to prepare themselves for the season.

The scrimmage gave the coaches and fans an opportunity to see the Mustangs’ four newcomers. Head coach Lisa Seifert sees the Red and Blue Scrimmage as the perfect opportunity to establish the roles of her players.

“I was pleasantly surprised how the team played,” said Coach Lisa Seifert. “I saw a different level of intensity and it was obvious on the court.”

The format of the scrimmage was slightly different from a usual match. The first two games were supposed to be played to 30 points and the third game to 15 points. Instead only two games were played to 30.

Despite the loss of three senior recipients of the All-WAC selection and two injured starting players, the team remains positive.

“I am excited about the 10 healthy players we do have,” Seifert said. “Out of the four freshmen on the team, two of them are starters, Jessica Mins, a setter, and Ashley Zenner, a middle-blocker.”

Jackie Erazmus, former starter on the injured list, is confident that the older players will show great leadership to the freshmen on the court.

“The team is young but hopeful.” Erazmus said. “They have a great opportunity to grow over the next couple of years,”

Allison Holder, a junior outside hitter and middle blocker, is also confident that the team will be successful in spite of the change in starting players.

“We had a good spring season without the seniors and the new freshmen players will just add to that,” she said.

Holder also noted the team’s potential weaknesses that could be improved on before the next game. She said that hitting is definitely a strength but defense could be improved.

Coach Seifert also mentioned that the team would work on its defense before its next game against UNC Charlotte, which starts off the new season this weekend in North Carolina.

The first home game is on Sept. 13 in Moody Coliseum. The time has not been announced.