Uncommonly good food at The Common Table

The+Common+Table+is+located+on+Fairmount+Street%2C+in+uptown%2C+and+is+widely+recognized+for+its+brunch+menu.+
Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
The Common Table is located on Fairmount Street, in uptown, and is widely recognized for its brunch menu.

The Common Table is located on Fairmount Street, in uptown, and is widely recognized for its brunch menu. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

Nestled into the corner of Fairmount Street and Cedar Springs, The Common Table offers Uptown a pleasant spin on gastro pub cuisine.

Chef Mike Smith has been a part of the restaurant industry from an early age and his dishes are proof of his experience. The food at The Common Table is inspired by a variety of cuisines to keep you from getting bored. Comfort food staples are always available, but Smith makes sure to add his own twist to each item.

Smith’s chicken and dumplings features pan-fried chicken breast, jalapeno dumplings, and a creamy cilantro sauce. The grilled cheese sandwich is made with roast pork tenderloin and a blend of smoked cheddar, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Comfort food isn’t the only thing they do well here — the tuna nachos are definitely worth a try. Sesame soy ahi tuna with wasabi and pickled ginger is served on a crispy wonton chip; it’s like eating sushi with an added crunch.

Other entrees include favorites like steak, ribs, pasta and salmon, of which all are priced fairly reasonably. Their sandwiches range from $9 to $13, and the entrees are priced around $16.

Their bar serves a large selection of beers, many of which receive mention on their kitchen menu as well. Each menu item accompanies a suggested beer or wine to perfectly suit the blend of flavors in your meal.

The typical crowd at The Common Table is as eclectic as their menu, creating a comfortable, unpretentious atmosphere.

The mood is akin to the feel of an English pub, with an added touch of sophistication, making it an excellent go-to for almost any occasion.