TEDx spreads ideas on Hilltop

Meadows School of the Arts Dean Jose Bowen and Dedman College student Julian Spearman jamming on keyboards at the close of TEDxSMU Hilltop.
Courtesy of Hillsman Jackson

Meadows School of the Arts Dean Jose Bowen and Dedman College student Julian Spearman jamming on keyboards at the close of TEDxSMU Hilltop. (Courtesy of Hillsman Jackson)

More than 200 people gathered in the Bob Hope Theatre Friday to listen to 21 SMU students, faculty and alumni relate “ideas worth sharing” at TEDxSMU Hilltop.

Ideas at the event ranged from a very colorful form of music notation and high performance dress shirts to why everyone should learn to be comfortable with being uncomfortable to the importance of coding.

Even though TEDxSMU has been in existence for about four years, this was first time the TEDxSMU conference has happened on the SMU campus.

At the fourth annual TEDxSMU event in the Dallas Arts District this past December, SMU community members had to pay for tickets. This TEDxSMU conference was free to SMU students, faculty and staff.

“The driving force behind bringing a free TEDxSMU conference back to campus were the deans of the Lyle School and Meadows. We understand that a ticket price of $150 for our full-day conference can be unreasonable for a student so [we] worked to offer events that are lower in costs or free,” Heather Hankamer, TEDxSMU director of operations, said.

TED is a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to “Ideas Worth Spreading.” TEDx, a part of TED, according to the TEDxSMU website, “offers individuals or groups a way to host local, self-organized events around the world.”

“[TEDx is a] place with great ideas,” sophomore Kelly Kiser said. “We all need more of those.”

SMU seniors Greg Walters and Mesa Thomas both said they had not been able to attend TEDxSMU events in the past. Walters enjoyed senior Chrisian Genco’s talk on why everyone should learn program systems.

“He is really engaging, really good at bringing technical concepts to a practical and universal level,” Walters said.

Thomas liked what Christopher Bhatti, SMU director of external and alumni relations had to say about the benefit of being uncomfortable.

“I liked him because he was talking about education and being uncomfortable. Many times we are always set on a plan but sometimes opportunities arrive that can change your life,” Thomas said.

A friend invited senior Corinne Matthews to TEDx. Although she had heard of TEDx before she wasn’t very familiar with the concept. But once there, Matthews didn’t regret it.

“I liked the opera one and I liked the general atmosphere and learning so much new about different subjects,” she said.

Hankamer said her favorite moment from TEDxSMU Hilltop were the conversations that happened outside of the theater.

“During the break the discussions were lively. Great ideas and passions were presented inside the theater and it’s fun to hear the discussions they spark outside the theater,” she said.
During the four-hour conference, the 2012 to 2013 TEDxSMU Young Fellows were announced.

The program offers 14 selected students the chance to attend TEDxKids @SMU and TEDxSMU for free. Recipients of the fellowships came from Lyle, Meadows, Dedman Law, Caldwell-Simmons, Cox School of Business, Perkins and Dedman College.

In exchange for free admission, student attendees are required to complete a service project. Students who have attended TEDxKids @SMU have contributed more than 2,000 service hours to the community.

The main TEDxSMU conference in December is an all-day event for pre-registered participants.

The program ranges from personal discussions of physical and mental journeys to demonstrations of high-tech gadgetry to real-life lessons from entrepreneurs.