SMU issues crime alert for Burger Street shooting

An+abandoned+car+sits+in+front+of+the+Burger+Street+fast+food+restaurant+Wednesday+evening+as+the+body+of+one+of+two+victims+in+a+murder+crime+lies+in+the+drive-thru+lane.+
MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus
An abandoned car sits in front of the Burger Street fast food restaurant Wednesday evening as the body of one of two victims in a murder crime lies in the drive-thru lane.

An abandoned car sits in front of the Burger Street fast food restaurant Wednesday evening as the body of one of two victims in a murder crime lies in the drive-thru lane. (MICHAEL DANSER/The Daily Campus)

SMU issued a crime alert Thursday afternoon after an-apparent drug deal went wrong in front of Burger Street Wednesday night, leaving two men dead and one wounded.

Dallas Police have arrested two men in connection with the shooting, according to The Dallas Morning News.

The DMN reported that one of the victims was Chadwick Daniel Ryan, a 27-year-old from Arlington. The other victim’s identity has not been released.

The Dallas Police Department is holding a press conference at 1 p.m. today to discuss the shootings.

No SMU students were involved in the incident, although many SMU students live in The Phoenix apartments which sit next to Burger Street, located on Mockingbird Lane near Greenville Ave.

Two men were sitting in a car in front of Burger Street, according to the alert sent out by SMU. The men were then approached by two suspects on foot. An argument ensued, shots were fired and the suspects fled the scene.

Police arrived on the scene around 10:15. Police scanners say they found a 30-pound bag of marijuana in the parking garage of The Phoenix. Blood trails throughout the apartment were also found.

Police later arrested the suspects in an apartment in The Phoenix, according to SMU PD, although it’s unclear whether they live in The Phoenix.

SMU issued the alert in compliance with the The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, which states that schools must issue timely reports of crimes that threaten students (including some off-campus crimes).