SMU students gather around a bucket of markers to write an encouraging note to put in “Welcome to the Shelter” kits at event in mid-April on SMU’s campus.
Dallas homeless recovery center, The Bridge, is a home
Morgan Shiver, Contributor • June 20, 2024

World renowned DJ calls Dallas her home

Although world-renowned disc jockey (DJ)Spinderella, spends her time touring the United States, volunteering for the North Texas chapter of the American Diabetes Association and teaching people about the art of DJing, she calls Dallas home.

Many know her as a celebrated DJ and Grammy winner; those who have met her say she is the nicest woman you will ever meet.

“She is the most down to earth person I know,” said Denita Quinn, DJ Spinderella’s publicist.

Diedra Muriel Roper, 40, known as DJ Spinderella or “Spin”, is an American DJ and rapper. She is a former member of the hip-hop group Salt-N-Pepa, and one of the first women to ever become a famous DJ.

Although Roper was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY, she has recently made Texas her home. She made the move to Dallas about a year and a half ago when she accepted a job with a local radio station. Although she is no longer with the station, she stayed in Texas.

“I am enjoying it (Dallas). I had been here a few times when I was with Salt-N-Pepa,” said Roper during a recent phone interview.

Roper has had no problem settling in and finding her favorite spots to shop, dine and hangout. Houston’s and Nobu are among two of her favorite restaurants. She is no stranger to shopping at NorthPark Center or the Galleria, and on weekends you can find her DJing at local Dallas venues.

Ashley Conklin, a Dallas resident and cognitive psychologist, has always been a Roper fan. Growing up, she remembers listening to Salt-N-Pepa on the radio and on cassette tapes. Conklin says Roper was the first female DJ she had ever heard of, and at the age of 18, Conklin remembers when her hit, Let’s Talk About Sex, was released.

“She has been a pioneer for women in DJing,” Conklin said.

Even after nearly two decades since making her debut with Salt-N-Pepa, Roper is still very involved in the music business.

“Right now my job is DJing. I do a lot of parties and events,” she said.

Roper also teaches a hands-on workshop for children and young adults about the art of DJing using a traditional turntable. In addition, participants learn about the business side of the music industry.

In her free time, she works with the American Diabetes Association. She lost her mother in 2011 to the disease, and both of her grandmothers and her brother have also been affected by it. Roper is spreading the word about the dangers of diabetes and promoting a healthy lifestyle.

In November of 2011, she helped promote and raise money for Step Out Walk to STOP Diabetes. The walk is held each fall at the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. Last year was Roper’s first year to attend.

“She was a huge help to the campaign, and we were grateful for her help,” said Mike Brin, Associate Director for Step Out.

Roper said she started her music career at 15, when hip-hop was in its early stages. Her father had a passion for music and her high school boyfriend was a DJ. That was ultimately what got her interested.

“Music was imbedded in me,” she said.

At 16 Roper started performing with Salt-N-Pepa, then her parents gave her permission to join the trio and tour around the world. Shortly after, they became the most successful selling female hip-hop group among men and women.

Roper is currently touring the U.S., performing at various venues and hosting clinics where she teaches people how to spin music.

“I just got back from New Jersey and I am going to Miami this week,” she said.

Roper says her favorite part of her job is the music and that the DJ is just the cornerstone of the industry.

“We keep the beat and the crowd happy,” she said.

To learn more about Roper on her website, her Facebook page, or follow her on twitter at @spindeezy.