Up for bids

Chi-O auctions guys for grants

Chi Omega’s new philanthropy “Bid’s For Kids” will auction off guys to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the Hugges-Trigg Theater. Tickets are being sold at tables in Hughes-Trigg and will still be available for $1 at the door.

All proceeds go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which helps grant the wishes of children with life threatening illnesses and enriches the human experience with hope, strength and joy.

“The average cost of granting a child a wish is $6,000,” Make-A-Wish Special Event Manager Heather Kraus said. “80 cents of every dollar donated goes towards wish granting.”

The children that qualify have four types of wishes that can be granted: I want to go, I want to meet, I want to have and I want to be. The money donated will help children grant wishes such as going to a Disney theme park, meeting N’Sync, having a puppy or becoming a judge.

“This will be a different type of philanthropy,” said sophomore Katherine Hemphill, a Chi-O business major. “We wanted a philanthropy that would be fun and beneficial to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.”

There are 20 men representing many different campus organizations from athletes to greeks to the Asian Council. Fraternity members were picked through a nomination process in their house and athletes and other participants were chosen by representatives in their organization.

“Every one wins, the auction will raise money to grant wishes such as meeting N’Sync, and the ladies will have a chance to bid on SMU’s finest selection of men,” Chi-O Public Relations Chairwoman Meredith Chapin said.

Chapin added that a 45-second personality profile video will precede each bidding.

The bidding begins at $20. The highest winner will receive complimentary movie tickets and a dinner gift certificate. Some of the restaurants available include Café Pacific, Truluck’s, Humperdinks and Amoré.

The higher the bids go, the nicer the restaurant they will receive a gift certificate to, Chapin said.

Participants can be spotted around campus on Wednesday wearing Bids for Kids T-shirts and a button reading “I’m for sale.”