Parking Plan, alternative transportation announced for Bush Library opening days

With the George W. Bush Presidential Center dedication and opening fast approaching, SMU has announced major parking changes for the days before and after the library’s dedication.

In an email sent to students and faculty Monday night, Tom Barry and Brad Cheves, co-chairs of the SMU Bush Dedication Oversight Committee, stated that due to the security risks for the former U.S. presidents and foreign dignitaries expected to attend, many students and faculty will have to make adjustments to their parking routines April 24-26.

“[The parking plan is] really predicated on several principles,” said Brad Cheves, SMU’s vice president for development and external affairs.

“One is that the campus is safe and able to operate, even albeit with some inconveniences. Two, that the central personnel of the institution who are vital to the ongoing operation of the institution can reach the campus 24/7. [Also,] that students that live on campus can get to their cars. And lastly, that faculty who have specific teaching responsibilities on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday of that week will have parking available.”

With the needs of on-campus residents, faculty teaching on those days and security personnel in mind, only those individuals will be able to park on campus, but in different locations than their usual assignments.

Students living on campus must relocate their cars to Airline garage or the commuter lot behind the Catholic Student Community Center on University Boulevard between 5 p.m. on April 23 and 5 p.m. April 26.

“I originally thought on-campus students would have to park in a downtown parking garage or even further away. I’m thankful for the ability to either park in the Airline garage or the commuter lot,” on-campus resident Will Slack said. “To prepare, I’ll most likely park my car in Airline on Sunday before the Tuesday evening requirement.”

Greek students who live in sorority houses may continue parking in front of their houses, in the lot along Daniel Avenue.
Residents of fraternity houses must enter the Dyer Court lot and SMU alley from Airline Road, as Dublin Street will be closed from April 24 to 25.

Students who reside off campus are strongly encouraged to use public transportation, carpool or be dropped off on the west side of campus on Hillcrest Road, according to the email. There will not be parking spaces for students who do not live on campus from April 24 to 26.

Off-campus parking is available at Reunion Center for the three days when the majority of opening ceremonies will take place. The garage at 316 Hotel St. will be open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. and will have shuttle service running to campus every 20 minutes. Reunion Center is about eight miles from campus.

“I live fairly close to downtown, so I guess that I will take the shuttle, but that is incredibly inconvenient,” senior Aliya Prasla said. “I would say the best way to avoid parking problems is to refrain from entering the area at all. It would have been easier if class was just cancelled.”

Junior Kristin LeBrasseur, who lives off-campus as well, said the parking changes might prevent her from coming to campus on those days.

“I would love to be on campus to be a part of something so great for SMU, but the inconvenience of actually getting to campus may prevent that from happening,” LeBrasseur said.

Free DART passes will be offered to students and faculty and distributed in the Hughes-Trigg Ballroom April 9-10.

The Mustang Express will continue running every 15 minutes from Mockingbird Station and an additional shuttle will run only between the Mockingbird DART station and main campus.

Additionally, Bishop Boulevard will be restricted to authorized vehicles only from April 24-26.

“The historic benefit and the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity balances against some of the inconveniences we will have to experience as a community,” Cheves said. “We have planned together to do that in the best possible way.”

Other streets and garages around campus will be closed throughout the three-day restricted parking period. The University Park permit system in residential areas will remain the same.

Complete information can be found at smu.edu/wheretopark