Pair of seniors sign with professional teams

Senior duo takes game to NFL as Slaten signs with Cowboys, Aldridge signs with Titans

Mustang defensive end Kevin Aldridge was shocked Sunday when he received a phone call from the Tennessee Titans defensive end coach Jim Washburn. Washburn, former defensive end coach at the University of Arkansas, had recruited Aldridge to play for the Razorbacks only four years before. The Titans coach offered Aldridge a two year contract, and they are in the process of negotiating the pay.

“It’s been a dream,” Aldridge said. “This is why you play little league ball … to hopefully one day make it to a professional level playing the sport you love.”

Aldridge is not the only Mustang that could be playing for a professional team next year. Offensive tackle Joey Slaten will remain in Dallas to play for the Cowboys.

“My agent had been talking to several teams,” Slaten said. “I wanted to stay in Dallas and they gave the best offer. It worked out well.”

Both players will go to mini-camp this weekend, which is a three-day camp for the rookies.

Slaten’s performance at minicamp will be a deciding factor in wheter or not he makes the official Dallas Cowboy’s roster.

“I’m ready for it. I’ve been working hard,” Slaten said. “I just have to go out and try my best. Hopefully I’ll make it.”

Slaten knew before the draft that the Cowboys were looking to take one offensive tackle from the draft and one as a free agent. Aldridge was drafted as a priority-free agent, which means he was called during the draft.

“They called during the seventh round and asked if I had any interest in playing for them [the Titans],” Aldridge said.

After finals Aldridge will return to Nashville for a month to begin his workouts.

Tight end Mike Brown has played with Aldridge and Slaten for four years.

“It’s good to see someone you came in with find success at the next level,” Brown said. “It’s a great opportunity for them, getting to do something they love.”