Lyle grows in stature, popularity

The Innovation Gym is a place for students to turn their ideas into tangible projects.
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus

The Innovation Gym is a place for students to turn their ideas into tangible projects. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

“I thought it was kind of a gem in the rough.”

Junior Sami Williams actually started out as a pre-med major- until she discovered SMU’s Lyle School of Engineering.

Now vice president of communications for SMU’s Society of Women Engineers, Williams says the program has “opened a lot of doors.”

“The opportunities, the number of internship offers…it’s amazing to see these things,” Williams said.

Across the nation, there are fewer engineering graduates than there are jobs

In the scramble to find qualified students, the Lyle School has created a big name for itself. Companies are jumping at the chance to recruit at the school.

“We’re about developing a different kind of engineer,” Williams said. “I think it’s one of the reasons our graduates are in such high demand.”

Lyle’s mission is to educate a well-rounded engineer- someone who can do more than just technical skills. Lyle School of Engineering Dean Mark Christensen says having some “soft skills” allows Lyle students to really “accelerate their career.”

“It’s more than just the book learning.” Christensen said. “Our students know how to apply that knowledge, work well in teams [and] be a listener.”

To create this learning experience, the engineering school looks at what companies’ top-performing employees are doing right now and identifies what that person looked like four years before they hit the marketplace.

“When they go into that first job interview, it’s an unfair advantage. They have all the technical skills,” Christensen said. “But they’re also ready to communicate clearly.”

According to Director of Undergraduate Recruitment Mickey Saloma, the Lyle School is looking for students who are interested in making a difference in the engineering community.

They want students who are willing to step outside their comfort zone to tackle some of “society’s problems that matter the most.”

“I want to attract students that want to be more than just technical experts, but rather be technological leaders,” Saloma said.

Saloma says that the engineering program has seen substantial growth over the past decade, and SMU’s program is becoming more in-demand amongst prospective freshmen.

The number of pre-major applicants jumped from 6 percent in 2004 to 14 percent this year.

The amount of resources and hands-on experience is one of the key features of SMU’s program, and prospective students and recruiters alike are quickly realizing this unique quality.

Lyle grads leave with “more than just a strong resume and professional references.”

“We want them to walk away with a portfolio of the many hands-on projects they have completed in their time at SMU,” Saloma said.

Senior Madeline Smith, president of Lyle Ambassadors, is confident she will graduate at the top of the engineering field because of her experience at SMU.

“We have so many opportunities for our students to get involved with research and extra-curricular projects as early as their freshman year,” Smith said.

Smith finds SMU students are set apart by their networking skills and ability to “interact with different disciplines of engineering.”

In a career where technical skills are a necessity, “being able to communicate effectively” gives SMU students the extra edge.

“This really sets us apart from other universities.”