Instead of finding yourself, be yourself

What is it about college that makes it the prime time to “find yourself?”

I was always encouraged to attend a university far from home for optimal personal growth and self-discovery.

This always sounded like a bunch of poetic nonsense to me.
I think that after eighteen years of life I know myself pretty well. After all, I can hear my own thoughts.

Even though I don’t have a huge appreciation for hippie talk, I can’t help but notice that there is truth in this advice.

There is a significantly freeing feeling that comes from being in a new place with new faces.

If you aren’t local, nobody knows who your mama is, or how much of a nerd you were in junior high or how great you are at organizing parties.

Other than making your grades and conducting yourself like a decent human being, there are no pre-existing expectations.
Whether we ever gave a conscious thought to the pressures or not, there is no doubt that we were all motivated in some way by the desire to please our peers.

Now is the time to be selfish. Instead of letting the fear of discomfort push us directly into an easy mold, we should feel free to branch out.

In a panicked initial reaction to the big change, we all want to do whatever it takes to immediately make friends and fit in.
Sure, being charming and the life of the party have their perks, but getting to do what you want to do when you want to do it is even more fun.

Are the friends that you made right off the bat going to encourage you to join those ballroom dancing classes that you never had the guts to take in high school?

Will your super cool new buddies understand that it is really just not an option to go out on Tuesday nights because there is a new episode of Dance Moms?

The point is, don’t be so quick to box yourself in.

Being comfortable is great, but taking a few months to find your niche will probably make for a better college experience.

At this stage, there’s a pretty good chance that nobody will remember that you’re that kid who unsuccessfully tried to organize an official LARPing club on campus.

So listen to grandma, and just be yourself. Now is the opportune moment to let your freak flag fly!

Thrall is a sophomore majoring in journalism. She can be reached for comment at [email protected]