How sushi has evolved over time

Education Manager Sahar Sea guides visitors through the Audubon Center.

Sushi is now considered to be one of the most popular dishes in America. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Sushi as we know it today is a form of culinary art, consisting of creative and intricately prepared colorful arrangements.

However, sushi originated in Southeast Asia as a way of preserving food. Fish was placed in rice and allowed to ferment, which kept it from spoiling. The rice was then discarded and the fish was consumed whenever desired.

Today, sushi has evolved as one of the most popular and sought-after foods. The once simple, grab-and-go meal has been transformed by Western influences and fused with creative and diverse ingredients resulting in what has become a culinary phenomenon. See the recipe below to learn how to make one of the most popular westernized renditions of sushi.

How to make a California Roll

1. Use Saran wrap to cover your sushi-rolling mat.

2. Place the seaweed sheet, shiny side down, on the mat.

3. Pour water into a bowl and dip your fingers in it. This avoids any rice from sticking to them.

4. Get a small handful of rice and thoroughly spread it on the seaweed, completely covering it with a thin layer. Don’t mash the rice down but be sure it sticks to the seaweed.

5. Turn the seaweed to its other side, so the non-rice side is facing you and the rice is on the bottom.

6. Place the strips of avocado in the middle of the seaweed sheet, parallel with the length.

7. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise either on the top or bottom of the avocado.

8. Place the individual crab pieces on the mayonnaise. While doing this, make sure that everything is even.

9. Make the roll by starting out with the seaweed side closest to you. Start folding the sushi mat away from you in a circle, so it forms a roll. Be sure not to squash the items in the roll as you go along, but make sure that it’s sturdy, an even size and firm.

10 Take a knife and cut the uramaki in half. Place one slice above the other and divide both pieces into thirds. This will give you 6 equal pieces.

11. Serve the pieces on their side to present the ingredients that are inside of the roll to create a colorful and interesting palette.