SMU band elects first-ever female drum major

Amanda Weise will be a sophomore in the band this fall.
Photo courtesy of Amanda Weise

Amanda Weise will be a sophomore in the band this fall. (Photo courtesy of Amanda Weise)

Amanda Weise has been elected the first female drum major at SMU.

The Houston native is an electrical engineering and chemistry double major with a minor in music from the class of 2013.

She has been active in band since sixth grade and in marching band since ninth grade, but never thought she would receive an honor like this.

“It was something that I never thought I would achieve, to be completely honest,” Weise said.

“The Mustang Band is diverse, yet we hold strong to our traditions.”

Weise ultimately chose SMU because she wanted to continue to be involved in music and in a marching band.

The Mustang Band was first organized in 1917 by Mr. Harold Hart Todd and thrives on tradition—something that helps “give color and meaning to the music performed,” Weise said.

Before going into the audition, Weise received encouragement from both Don Hopkins, the director of the Mustang Band, and Tommy Tucker, the assistant director of the band and the main music arranger.

Her directors told her “they had been looking for the perfect candidate to be the first girl,” and that her peers were confident in her abilities.

“This band is like a huge family to me,” Weise said. “To be chosen to lead them fills me with so much happiness.”

Be on the lookout for Weise next year as she leads the Mustang Band in all its endeavors, including the march from The Boulevard to Ford Stadium.