Mommy Mixer in Dallas

Need some extra cash? Trying to pay for those Flash pictures, gas for your car or add to your spring break funds? Finding a job where you can determine your own hours, decide your own pay and even pick your boss sound like a dream job. But it doesn’t have to be after attending Mommy Mixer, the newest and most efficient way of finding a job.

Mommy Mixer began about 18 months ago by Mary Sullivan Cooper, a University of Texas graduate. While attending UT, Cooper worked as a full-time nanny for twin baby girls in Austin. She was constantly being approached by other moms at the park, Gymboree and kids museum asking where to find a babysitter like Cooper.

In a highly populated area like Austin, which is swamped with young and available babysitters, Cooper came up with Mommy Mixers. This “babysitter broker” pairs local employers with potential candidates through a speed meet-and-greet morning.

“It’s like ‘speed dating’ but for moms and babysitters,” Cooper said.

At the first mixer Cooper hosted, about 30 candidates showed up but only four moms were there to potentially hire- quite a relief for the nervous party planner who had visions of the party being swamped with moms but no clients. By the next two mixers held in Austin, about 25 parents showed up, hoping to find a babysitter for their children.

“I never worry about the mixers in Austin,” Cooper said. “I typically have a wait list for moms and approximately 40 to 50 candidates that are [at the mixers].”

As of Tuesday, Mommy Mixer was able to branch out of Austin and into 10 cities, including Dallas. Cooper, who has an e-mail list of contacts in Dallas, sends notices out to all the Mommy Mixer clients, who then tell their friends and so on. “The word spreads like wild fire,” Cooper said on the success of moms showing up.

“Even if students can’t attend a particular mixer because of class or whatever, I still will include their resume in the notebook I give to all attending moms,” Cooper said, explaining the system of finding the perfect match for a family. “Once candidates join ‘the network’ of Mommy Mixer simply by submitting your resume [online], I will keep them updated on new jobs and upcoming mixers.”

Because each mixer brings more clients in, keeping your resume in the Mommy Mixer file is easy and allows you to get potential jobs without skipping class.

As for the broadening of Mommy Mixer? “I’m very excited to launch [it] on a bigger scale,” Cooper said. “I hope to be national by this time next year. I’m trying my hardest to make this work in all cities.”

Dallas will hold its Mommy Mixer on Thursday, Feb. 10 at Penne Pomodoro in Snider Plaza. Visit www.MommyMixer.com for more information. You can see mock-resumes online and submit yours at [email protected].