Tri Deltas work up a sweat to put down body insecurities

By ASHLEY WITHERS

Contributing Writer

[email protected]

“Are your legs burning yet?” yelled the boot camp instructor to 50 girls who ran up and down the indoor soccer court after a series of squats Wednesday evening.

Boot Camp was one of four classes offered as part of TriFit, a workout program sponsored by the Delta Delta Delta (Tri Delta) sorority at the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports.

The event also featured classes in self-defense, Pilates, yoga fusion and kickboxing, all taught by Dedman Group X instructors.

“Most of the committee is very active and enjoys social exercising, so we wanted to take that love of ours and create an event in which large groups of college students can experience the same,” said Lauren Ritchie, a coordinator of the event.

TriFit was a campus-wide event designed to kick-off Tri Delta’s Reflections program and Fat Talk Free Week. The Reflections program is sponsored by Tri Delta to help promote a positive body image among college students.

“It’s a great way to remind our chapter to stop any negative talk about our bodies and focus on all the positive things we love about our chapter and our friends,” said Alex Wilstrup, another coordinator of TriFit.

The program featured four classes that are also offered through the Dedman Center’s Group X pass, and the instructors put participants through their  regular excercises.

“It was intense — it was fun though,” first-year Liz Glander, who participated in the kickboxing class, said.  “I sweat more in that class than I have in my whole life.”

The event served both as a social way to promote a healthy lifestyle and as a recruitment event. After the respective group exercise classes, Tri Delta held a meet-and-greet with participants. “I went to try the classes and to meet the girls,” first-year Rachel Delesk said.

“I hope that participants leave the event with an appreciation for positive body image and realize that working out can be social and fun!” said Korey Adams, Tri Delta’s recruitment chair.

“Millions of women suffer from eating disorders, and Reflections is a way for us to bring awareness and prevention of this issue in a positive way to our campus,” she said.

TriFit had a large turnout, and the money raised will go toward the Reflections program and future social group exercise events.

Fat Talk Free Week kicks off Oct.18.