More choices for studying abroad

This year Southern Methodist University added seven new destinations to its study abroad program. The decision was made to broaden international study after speaking to the International Education Task Force last year.

Education Abroad Adviser Todd Chiscano said that the International Center’s goal is to expand and diversify SMU’s study abroad program. The International Education Task Force recommended facilitating and coordinating undergraduate international activities. The force also suggested internationalizing curriculums and further developing foreign language offerings.

Six new locations offer international studies in India; Cairo, Egypt; Australia and Asia; South Africa; and Oaxaca, Mexico. The programs include several options for course study, from service learning to field studies.

SMU is also offering a business internship in London. The program begins May 15, 2008 and lasts until July 12, 2008. Students receive six hours of credit from a combination of class work and the internship.

“Many students want to have an experience abroad, but we would like to develop an ethos that it is expected that you should study abroad,” said Michael T. Clarke, executive director of the International Center.

Clarke feels that international education is no longer a goal, but a necessity. In order to make this necessity a reality, Clarke, along with other colleges, has been working to create programs that are interesting to all students.

The steps for creating a new study abroad program begin when the Education Abroad Council receives a program proposal form, which must then receive academic approval. Once approved, the proposal goes to the International Center for a second approval and further planning. The entire process takes approximately a year.

One new summer program, SMU-in-South Africa, offers history and music theater classes in Durban, South Africa. The program works in collaboration with the University of KwaZulu-Natal and Tshwane University of Technology.

“I was never really excited about studying abroad until I found out about the new program in South Africa,” freshman Ryley M. Clem said. “Now I am elated to embrace the African culture through SMU’s broadened international education. KwaZulu-Natal’s diversity will give students a greater knowledge of African backgrounds and traditions.”

Another new program, SMU-in-India, is a new program based in Ahmedabad, India, that focuses heavily on advertising. The Temerlin Advertising Institute has partnered with the Mudra Institute for Communications in Ahmedabad, an academic institution for communications management. The program lasts for five weeks and incorporates tours throughout India, including the Taj Mahal.

All programs require students to fill out an application, which includes a resume and essay. Several of the study abroad programs also require a competitive GPA. Many of the scholarships and grants that a student receives during a regular semester carry over to the study abroad program. Due to the competitive nature of some of the programs, students have already turned in applications for summer programs as well as programs beginning in the fall.

“I am excited to broaden my horizons by studying abroad,” sophomore Lizzie Brubaker said. “I am looking forward to actually seeing the art that I am studying instead of just learning about it in a class room.”