Mustangs face defending C-USA champ Tulsa

This Sunday, the SMU men’s tennis team travels to take on the No. 12 Tulsa Golden Hurricanes.

This match begins at 2 p.m. at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center.

The Mustangs go into Tulsa fresh off weekend matches against the University Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin at Green Bay, in which the Mustangs played well, but came out with just one victory.

“We played very well, though the score might not be indicative of this,” said head coach Carl Neufeld. “Really, what it comes down to is that we are plagued with injuries.”

In the match against Minnesota, the Mustangs were able to manage a singles point and a doubles point.

In the first victory, Artem Baradach knocked off Minnesota’s Sebastion Gallego (3-6, 6-3, 10-5). With the win, Baradach improved to 8-2 this season in singles.

The other victory occurred when the doubles tandem of juniors Robin Gahgen and Gaston Cuadranti defeated the No. 22 doubles pair of Gallego and Dino Bilankov.

The Mustang enter the weekend matches with a 6-4 record and have won four of their last five games.

The Golden Hurricane comes in with a 9-4 record, though it has dropped three straight matches.

One obstacle for the Mustangs this weekend will be handling Tulsa’s Arnau Bruges. Brugus has been ranked as the No. 1 singles player in the nation by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll, released Thursday.

The ranking marks the first time that any C-USA player has been ranked the top player in the nation.

The Mustang player with the task of going up against Bruges figures to be Robin Fahgen. Fahgen (6-1) also received a boost in his rankings, up to the No. 54 singles player in the nation.