Big names and tough competition in “Top Chef” Season 5

Casual cooks, die-hard foodies and people who just like to eat will all enjoy season 5 of Bravo’s “Top Chef.” Set in New York City, this season has blown all of the others out of the water with the most talented group of chefs and incredible opportunities and resources.

Episode 10, “Superbowl Showdown,” featured a team, including all of the remaining season 5 contestants, pitted against a team of all-stars from previous seasons. Season 5 cooks took the victory rather easily from their talented and successful opponents, proving their already suspected superiority in the kitchen.

Each show begins with a “Quickfire Challenge.” Chefs are presented with certain ingredients to use (sugar substituted by Dr. Pepper), a technical cooking challenge (blindfolded taste test), or asked to put their own spin on a recipe or traditional dish.

For the first 8 episodes, the winner of the each Quickfire Challenge receives immunity. Winners of the last 6 get a significant advantage towards the Elimination Challenge.

The Elimination Challenge occupies most of the show’s hour run time and pits contestants against each other alone, or grouped into teams. Each challenge is different and includes catering a high profile event, imitating a famous chef’s dish after tasting, or the classic “Restaurant Wars” which separates chefs into two teams, each of which has to provide restaurant service for diners.

The New York City location provides venues unmatched by any other city. As early as episode 2, chefs get the opportunity to cook at renowned chef and Top Chef head judge, Tom Colicchio’s flagship New York City restaurant Craft.

The contestants also have the opportunity to cook for The Foo Fighters, the ladies of NBC’s The Today Show, Martha Stewart and virtually every big name in the culinary world (that we may not immediately recognize, but who all of the chefs and foodies admire).

The final four includes Carla Hall, a former model turned classically trained chef from Washington D.C., Fabio Vivani, a charming character, fairly fresh off the boat from Florence, Italy, Hosea Rosenberg from Boulder Colorado and Stefan Richter from Finland. Richter, known for his cocky attitude, has been favored and now has 8 total wins (Quickfire and Elimination Challenges combined) under his belt.

Now that the contestants have been narrowed down, the show moves to New Orleans for the last two episodes. Big names continue to abound; Emeril Lagasse guest starred on last night’s episode.

“Top Chef: New York” is a winner. The famous guest judges and the spirited competition bring season 5 to a whole new level.