‘Shopaholic’ a feel-good chick flick

Based on Sophie Kinsella’s popular Shopaholic series, “Confessions of a Shopaholic” premiered in theatres last Friday (Feb. 13).  The movie came in fourth at the weekend box office earning $15.4 million.  Isla Fisher stars as Rebecca Bloomwood, the title’s namesake Shopaholic.

Fisher does a fantastic job staying true to the character created by Kinsella, even though moviemakers made many major changes to the plot.  The novels take place in Great Britain, while the movie is set in New York City, and most of the characters are totally different in the film. Kinsella’s book serves as little more than a loose outline for the movie.

While diehard fans of the book series may walk away a bit disappointed, even they will appreciate the feel-good qualities of the film. Bloomwood, a journalist with a big shopping (a.k.a. debt) problem, ironically snags a job as a columnist for Succesful Savings magazine. Her hilarious, yet constructive advice is like a breath of fresh air to the failing magazine and Bloomwood becomes an overnight celebrity.

Despite her success, Bloomwood’s personal finances continue to spin out of control. Set in New York City, the film shows off the finest shopping the city has to offer. Becky’s outfits are outrageous, luxurious, colorful and entertaining.

Between the people, the places and Isla Fisher’s facial expressions, this movie would be entertaining even without sound. Bloomwood’s love interest Luke Brandon, played by Hugh Dancy, enchants female moviegoers with his good looks and charming, yet genuine, personality.

The film is fun, the characters are cute and the storyline ends happily without being overly predictable. “Confessions of a Shopaholic” is the perfect movie choice for viewers who enjoy a girly flick and are looking to walk out of the theater smiling.