Big D: Top Tablet Computers for the Holidays

The Kindle Fire, Amazon’s first color tablet computer, started shipping Nov. 14. It takes up the competition with Apple Inc.’s iPad and Barnes & Noble Inc.’s Nook Color.
Associated Press

The Kindle Fire, Amazon’s first color tablet computer, started shipping Nov. 14. It takes up the competition with Apple Inc.’s iPad and Barnes & Noble Inc.’s Nook Color. (Associated Press)

As the holidays draw near, wish lists are on everyone’s mind and companies are competing like crazy to have their gadget be at the top of your list.

With the early release of Amazon’s Kindle Fire and the upcoming arrival of Barnes & Noble’s Nook Tablet later this week, tablet computers are sure to be on many people’s wish lists this year.

But with so many to choose from, many of you may be wondering, “Which tablet is right for me?”

ABC News lists the top tablets to consider this holiday season.

1. Apple’s iPad 2. Now with iOS 5 and iCloud, the iPad 2 is a great choice for Apple users. The biggest downside may be the price, starting at $499.

2. Amazon Kindle Fire. If you’re not an Apple user, or just don’t want to dish out the cash, then this is the tablet for you. At $199, the Kindle Fire is about content consumption and is best for watching movies, listening to songs, and reading books and magazines Amazon.com offers for download.

3. Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet. If the iPad 2 is too expensive for your budget but you want more power than the Kindle Fire then the Nook Tablet is up your alley. With a list price of $249, you’ll get twice the computing power of the Kindle Fire for about half the price of the iPad. Another plus is the battery life.

4. Samsung Galaxy Tablet.This tablet is very similar in function to an iPad. For $599.99 you can purchase the fully loaded version, which has 32 GB of memory and a 10.1-inch screen.

Big D is a digital journalism class blog produced independently of The Daily Campus.