Stacy answers:

When to hit the hay, say ‘good day’ and spare a lay

Q: Dear Stacy,

I’ve been dating a wonderful young woman for about a month now and things are going great. We go to concerts together, and our last date was spent riding around White Rock Lake on our bicycles. Well, the topic of boats came up, and we have decided to use a friend’s sailboat to cruise the lake next Sunday. I’m getting to that point where I’d like to advance our physicality to the next level, sexually, if you know what I mean, so what are the proper etiquette rules concerning this? – Ted

A: Dear Ted,

While I applaud your nobility, that’s an issue between the two of you. Nonetheless, here are a few pointers:

1. Don’t pressure her into anything she doesn’t consent to. A lot of times girls give in to the pressure placed on them by their boyfriends or potential loves and regret the decisions they make. They wish to be accepted and liked by their mates. Based on low self-esteem and vulnerability, their minds become cluttered with bad judgment. If you start the relationship off on the wrong foot, for example, basing it on physicality as a strong point, it will end the same way it began – in disaster.

2. Show her some respect. If you’re serious about going down that road, she’s got to know that. If you’re just trying to get off, well, it was incredibly unclassy and rude of you to lead her on for a month. Try talking openly with her about what you’re thinking. Open communication keeps relationships true to form. She’ll respect you in return for being a gentleman.

3. Keep your mouth shut. Don’t go blab to all your friends about how she’s holding back or whatever it is that the two of you discuss. Those are private matters.

Good luck. Keep in mind honesty is a good route to take.

Q: Dear Stacy,

When do you know the fire has died in the relationship? – Sarah

A: Dear Sarah,

I’m sure that question has crossed most people’s minds at one point in time, whether it’s friendship or dating. There are a lot of clear indications that it’s time to heave-ho in a relationship, but most of them are very simple to say but difficult to acknowledge. When you love someone, it’s hard to let go of the notion that you won’t be together eternally. You can still love someone very much but not be compatible enough to stay together. Clue in on these signs: Constant fighting that doesn’t ever come to a resolution.

You find yourself checking out the waiter’s behind at Mi Cocina and wishing you could go leave with himYou begin to retreat emotionally and physically, and find yourself dozing off whenever your boyfriend is talking to you.

Q: Dear Stacy,

Sometimes when I drink too much, I can’t get it up. Does that happen to a lot of men, too? – Craig

A: Dear Craig,

Yikes – that’s not fun. But, luckily to your avail, you’re not the only one! Don’t think of it as impotence, because you’re not and count your lucky stars. PBS actually had a documentary on NOVA out of Boston called “The Truth about Impotence” that dealt with this same situation, in addition to questions from men about Viagra.

You just need to learn when to cut yourself off if you’re seeing your sweetheart later. Or, give her a visit before you go pound beers with your buds.