‘Watchmen’ looks to triumph over ‘Phoebe’ at box office this weekend

“Watchmen”

Alan Moore’s celebrated graphic novel “Watchmen” finally makes its way to the big screen, courtesy of director Zack Snyder (“300”). The film is set in the USA, circa 1985, in an alternate universe where normal people assume costumed identities to fight crime.

However, these real-life superheroes have all gone into hiding after a recent law bans masked-vigilantism in the country. But after The Comedian, one of the superheroes, is mysteriously murdered, the heroes come out of hiding to discover their compatriot’s killer. As the heroes progress, they find themselves enveloped in a deep, dark conspiracy, which threatens their very lives.

“Watchmen” stars Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Jackie Earle Haley, Patrick Wilson and Malin Akerman. The film is rated R for strong graphic violence, nudity and language, and is two hours and 43 minutes long.

“Phoebe in Wonderland”

Dakota Fanning’s little sister Elle Fanning stars as Phoebe, a little girl who wants more than anything to be in the school production of “Alice and Wonderland.” Felicity Huffman plays Phoebe’s mom, who struggles to understand her rebellious daughter.

As Phoebe works to control her behavior, the unconventional drama teacher Miss Dodger, played by Patricia Clarkson, seems to be the only one able to relate to her.

The film, rated PG-13 for strong language and thematic material, follows Phoebe as she grows closer to maturity. “Phoebe in Wonderland” also stars Bill Pullman and runs for one hour and 36 minutes.

Also In Theaters

“Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li”

“Street Fighter” is another franchise reboot, this time in the failed genre of video game movies. “Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li” stars Kristin Kreuk, Chris Klein, Robin Shou and Michael Clarke Duncan and is one hour and 37 minutes long. The film is rated PG-13 for sequences of violence and martial arts action.

“Jonas Brothers: The 3-D Concert Experience”

The film follows the Jonas Brothers live in concert. It is filmed entirely in Disney Digital 3D and can only be viewed in this format. The movie is rated G.

“Crossing Over”

Harrison Ford stars as border Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent Max Brogan in “Crossing Over.” The film explores the struggle of illegal immigrants of many different cultures in Los Angeles to become legal. Also starring Ray Liotta, Ashley Judd and Jim Sturgess, the movie is rated R for strong language, violent and sexual content. “Crossing Over” is one hour and 53 minutes long.